Legalities of restoring a car

-

flyguy

Reaction score
As I am getting closer to obtaining my first project I started to think about what kind of red tape restoring a vehicle can bring. For example, the odometer, I've heard you can't tamper it so what do you do. Or another example is the VIN if you do a /6 to V8 swap, could that not be construed as VIN tampering? Saw an article on autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/21/classic-recreations-spurs-creation-of-new-law-to-help-restorers/) today which made me think of that.

I can't speak for the US but here in Sask I believe that as long as you get a government credited shop to safety your vehicle you can get it licensed.

Can anyone speak to these issues or anything else maybe you folks have ran across?

Thanks all

In most areas there are no restrictions to restoration of an old car. The VIN is the VIN, whether it has a transplanted motor in it or not, motors get changed all the time!! The odometer reading of an old car is totally subjective unless the car has been completely documented for some extraineous reason ie... rarity, unusual circumstances. The DMV doesn't really care what the mileage is, but if you can prove that it is the mileage stated, that boosts your papertrail. As long as the car is clear, legal, insured, and is up to date on all of the safety requirements of the area it is being registered, there are no legalities to follow, at least not here in Michigan!!! I had 3 different speedometers to choose from when rediong my dash, I simply picked the best example of the 3 and put it in. I don't care about the original mileage of the car, even though it may have been correct when I got it, because I've completely rebuilt everything, and nothing is left of that original mileage. Maybe I should have set the odo back to zero!!!LOL!!! Find it, buy it and restore it your way.!!! Geof

Quote: I can't speak for the US but here in Sask I believe that as long as you get a government credited shop to safety your vehicle you can get it licensed.

You're probably right flyboy, but the end all be all is for you to go into a motor vehicle office and ask them specifically and while you're at it talk to the provincial insurance agency to make sure everythings above board. When the governments involved the rules can change in a heart beat.

Quote: ...When the governments involved the rules can change in a heart beat.

Add to that you'll get 5 different answers from 2 separate government officials...sitting right beside one another! ...here in Ontario anyway! lol

But I do believe as long as the VIN matches your ownership and it passes the safety standards set in each province your good to go. Some insurance companies / brokers may require additional information... mine required an appraisal with pictures by a province approved and licenced individual.

T

Here in Ontario,I know you have to change the ownership reading when swapping

Paint color
6cyl. to 8 cyl.

You can,t be driving a green 6 cyl car,when it,s actually a blue 8cyl.LOL Just saying..

Here in Ontario,I know you have to change the ownership reading when swapping

Paint color
6cyl. to 8 cyl.

You can,t be driving a green 6 cyl car,when it,s actually a blue 8cyl.LOL Just saying..

I learned something then... I knew about the colour change (and 4got to mention it) but didnt know or even think of it about the #cyl.

Good to know seeing I'm doing that swap this summer! Thank you!

I reset the odometer in my car when I built it. It shows the miles since it was rebuilt.

I had know idea how many miles was on the car and if it is over 10 years old they state on title that miles is beyond mechanical limits. Since the title would not have the correct mileage, I just made it easier for me to know how many miles I put on the car.

-
Back