Legality question...

-

9teen7tSwinger

Reaction score
If I have two 67 Darts and create one car, but only have one title... what are the legalities of doing this? Primarily I will be using the most (including frame) from the car without a title. Getting a title for the other one has been a big run around as it has not been registered or titled in many years and has changed hands a few times. I currently live in South Dakota...bought the car in Iowa... but am moving to Nebraska in a month and a half.

It has been done but I dont think its legal. Check the nebraska laws and see what there state laws require, maybe you can obtain the tile easier there.

It has been done before and will be done again. Removing or altering a VIN tag is against Federal Law. Most states will allow a Salvage Title and will assign a new VIN if you have paperwork showing the trail of the cars you used to build the car. That all being said, all those parts came down the line and just came together to become, and then the angels sang.........the car with a factory VIN. No big deal in my book. But people build cars to make something that it wasn't for the love of money. Save a car is one thing, rip folks off is not right. IMHO

Do it before you move to Nebraska. I sold a guy up there a couple Chevelles a couple years back. He said it's impossible to get a title on a vehicle without one through their DMV. Told me that it used to be possible to get a title from a bill of sale, but that they quit doing that anymore. I'm thankful I can still do this in KS, but am not looking forward to the day they change their mind on it too.

You should be OK as you are "re-building" the car with the title and frame ( or more accurately main structure) but you need to check with the state you intend to title it in. Someone " re-bodied" a '65 Shelby GT350 (Mustang) and had big trouble as moving a VIN is illegal, the car was sold outside the US and the seller lost about $100,000 in value and the buyer got a cool car with " stories" - so do your homework on this.

-
Back