Legally Register Any Car

-
We used to write a bill of sale on a paper napkin, and leave the date off so we could use the car as a winter beater on our summer car plates. We had seven days to transfer insurance, so if we ever needed (like getting pulled over) we could just fill in the date if need be. .

My Demon was bought off some guy in the 80s,and I had no paperwork, no idea the guys name, nor what his address was when I registered it in the late 90s. Paid $15 for a notarized form that gave the former owner one year to claim it.

Same goes for today.

I feel for a lot of members here when I read their troubles.

Grant

Okay- my scenario- it is easy to transfer an out of state title to Hawaii. If you are missing a title, it's impossible to title a car here, we literally have the worst DMV in the nation.

You haven't had to deal with Illinois then I take it.
A political mess and the DMV is so bad (I'll try to be nice) I wouldn't recommend anyone deal with them that absolutely doesn't HAVE To. And ridiculously priced too. I could register all of my vehicles in Indiana (none less than 10 years old) for what any one costs me to renew here. And they're talking another increase.......I do see a lot of vehicles on the road that aren't worth the registration fee even if the owner got them for free, it's so high here.

You haven't had to deal with Illinois then I take it.
A political mess and the DMV is so bad (I'll try to be nice) I wouldn't recommend anyone deal with them that absolutely doesn't HAVE To. And ridiculously priced too. I could register all of my vehicles in Indiana (none less than 10 years old) for what any one costs me to renew here. And they're talking another increase.......I do see a lot of vehicles on the road that aren't worth the registration fee even if the owner got them for free, it's so high here.
What does it cost to register a vehicle there?

i just put a 2012 ram on the road that i bought recently. here is the break down for it here in illinois
title 155.00
tax 100.00
plates 151.00
tax is only 15.00 if you bought from immediate family. tax goes up if it a newer unit.

i just put a 2012 ram on the road that i bought recently. here is the break down for it here in illinois
title 155.00
tax 100.00
plates 151.00
tax is only 15.00 if you bought from immediate family. tax goes up if it a newer unit.
Still way cheaper than Hawaii LOL. It goes by wieght as well- if your ram is over a certain weight- you have to register it as a commercial vehicle- almost every full size truck sold new today is over the weight.

It's legal, I have friends who used this loophole and have had no issues. I'd be leary of buying a GA car with no title but a bill of sale, even though that's how it works. It would be a hassle to register in MN.

Probably not.

That AIN'T gonna fly here in FL! They want the Title.

Naah. Again: many states DO NOT TITLE old cars. I have no title for my Duster and couldn't get one if I wanted to-the state will not issue it. IfI moved to Florida, I doubt I'd have any issue tagging it.

So, possibly, "technically" you Could roll "somewhere" get a bill of sale, and registration, THEN a tag from That Place, and just drive it in Your Home State?

Yep.

Simple rule: No title, no car.

Otherwise you are just buying a pile of parts to use to put another project together that does have a title.

Or put it back into the stream by parting it out.

No, wrong.

I'm pretty sure FL "reciprocates" with states that don't title older cars.

Pretty sure all states do.

In FL, you Ain't getting your car registered, with out a title

No, wrong.

This is a very interesting debate for me- I had no idea some states don't title older cars! I have to have a title in hand when I buy a car on the mainland to ship it, unless I am shipping it as parts. the bill of lading is needed, with title, to register the car in Hawaii. Pretty big annoying process actuallyh.

This is a very interesting debate for me- I had no idea some states don't title older cars! I have to have a title in hand when I buy a car on the mainland to ship it, unless I am shipping it as parts. the bill of lading is needed, with title, to register the car in Hawaii. Pretty big annoying process actuallyh.
I'd bet most every state has a reciprocal agreement with states that do not title older cars. Most people just don't bother going to DMV to ask the question to in fact find out.

I'd bet most every state has a reciprocal agreement with states that do not title older cars. Most people just don't bother going to DMV to ask the question to in fact find out.
Hawaii is completely unique in this from what I have heard- they will absolutely not register a car without a title, period. I have asked the head of the DMV. There is also another hassle I have run into with motorcycles, it's also unique, as you have to "safety" the motorcycles and cars. I had a legal VIN number as a new bike, but it had to be on thier list to get the safety- the bike was titled in Alaska, completely 49 state legal, but couldn't get it safetied here to get the title changed due to not being on the "approved" list. I call it paradise tax LOL. Also, due to some arcane laws around the Jones act, they will not ship the car as a car, only as parts, without a title, and unless the bill of lading includes the title, the car is parts here from then on out- no reciprocity at all. There is another loop hole we have found a couple months ago involving standing in front of a judge here (Hawaii law structure also unique to Hawaii due to it being a kingdom before) - but it has nothing to do with Vermont or mainland titles LOL> however, I do know several guys now that had the vehicle titled in Vermont before put on the boat, and that went very smoothly at the DMV.

Hawaii is completely unique in this from what I have heard- they will absolutely not register a car without a title, period. I have asked the head of the DMV. There is also another hassle I have run into with motorcycles, it's also unique, as you have to "safety" the motorcycles and cars. I had a legal VIN number as a new bike, but it had to be on thier list to get the safety- the bike was titled in Alaska, completely 49 state legal, but couldn't get it safetied here to get the title changed due to not being on the "approved" list. I call it paradise tax LOL. Also, due to some arcane laws around the Jones act, they will not ship the car as a car, only as parts, without a title, and unless the bill of lading includes the title, the car is parts here from then on out- no reciprocity at all. There is another loop hole we have found a couple months ago involving standing in front of a judge here (Hawaii law structure also unique to Hawaii due to it being a kingdom before) - but it has nothing to do with Vermont or mainland titles LOL> however, I do know several guys now that had the vehicle titled in Vermont before put on the boat, and that went very smoothly at the DMV.
OK, one more time: there IS a way to get a car there tagged without a title. Unknowingly, you just said so: if a car is older than fifteen years, Vermont DOES NOT TITLE IT. (And VT does not title small-displacement motorcycles, REGARDLESS of age.)

You need a valuation as well. Thanks to Kelly Blue Book changing their valuation tool, any car I'd want is way overvalued, and I'd pay more than I want on tax of the claimed value. (They use auctions to come up with a price, and those numbers may not accurately reflect a project car's value) They won't just take your word for what you paid, you need a baseline. That's my main hangup. But other than that, I think, that's all you need.
It's against the law to charge you more tax than you have paid. Stick to your guns, ask for a supervisor then call your congressman if all else fails. If nothing works lets get all old car asses together and change the laws!

ps in Michigan plates for most standard vehicles are about $150.00 to $200.00. Goes by retail price when new. My 2002 Suburban is still $150.00

It's against the law to charge you more tax than you have paid. Stick to your guns, ask for a supervisor then call your congressman if all else fails. If nothing works lets get all old car asses together and change the laws!
I don't need to tag the vehicle I was asking about, it will be a parts car.

Vermont needs the valuation, and I'm not going to waste my time half a country away. I could always get an appraiser to get a real value I could use if I really needed, but I'm not buying anything for a while, I have enough cars to work on.

ps in Michigan plates for most standard vehicles are about $150.00 to $200.00. Goes by retail price when new. My 2002 Suburban is still $150.00
Minnesota does that value based tax BS, but I think it's only for 8 years. After that it's a flat tax for yearly registration, $54 per vehicle.

-
Back