Legally Register Any Car

-
So, possibly, "technically" you Could roll "somewhere" get a bill of sale, and registration, THEN a tag from That Place, and just drive it in Your Home State?
You need a valuation as well. Thanks to Kelly Blue Book changing their valuation tool, any car I'd want is way overvalued, and I'd pay more than I want on tax of the claimed value. (They use auctions to come up with a price, and those numbers may not accurately reflect a project car's value) They won't just take your word for what you paid, you need a baseline. That's my main hangup. But other than that, I think, that's all you need.

You need a valuation as well. Thanks to Kelly Blue Book changing their valuation tool, any car I'd want is way overvalued, and I'd pay more than I want on tax of the claimed value. (They use auctions to come up with a price, and those numbers may not accurately reflect a project car's value) They won't just take your word for what you paid, you need a baseline. That's my main hangup. But other than that, I think, that's all you need.
I put one here in Florida as a gift.... they have their own Baseline and it hurts! Lol. You're better off putting a few hundred bucks there...

Simple rule: No title, no car.

Otherwise you are just buying a pile of parts to use to put another project together that does have a title.

Or put it back into the stream by parting it out.

Simple rule: No title, no car.

Otherwise you are just buying a pile of parts to use to put another project together that does have a title.

Or put it back into the stream by parting it out.
In Fl, that's about the best case. And if it's a Harley-Davidson just don't do it.

So, possibly, "technically" you Could roll "somewhere" get a bill of sale, and registration, THEN a tag from That Place, and just drive it in Your Home State?
They have state annual inspections, so there`s that.
Most states give you about 30 days to change tags over unless you live in both states. This stuff would just set you up for grief.

I'm pretty sure FL "reciprocates" with states that don't title older cars.

Back in Missouri, I had a neighbor that ran the country tag office. She bragged how her office had the fewest issues or "mistakes" of any in the state.
When I bought any out of state car or non titled car, I learned to NOT USE HER OFFICE! I could use any other office and get it done with no issue.
Follow me for more helpful hints????? lol

So I got my parts car illegally? No title was provided.
If it's sold as a parts car, from what I was told then it's okay as it will never be titled. I've walked away from cars before because they were being sold with a bill of sale only. You need registration to get a title, again this is what my local dmv says

You need a valuation as well. Thanks to Kelly Blue Book changing their valuation tool, any car I'd want is way overvalue
This is similar to how it works here. We do not have titles per se, however we now use a transfer of ownership document from seller. Tax is due on the book valuation or the purchase price on the document, whichever is higher.
I just went through a couple of my project cars that I after many years am getting moving on, and when I went to register them they wanted to tax them on values of completed cars which was around 30,000 each, regardless of what my bill of sales from the mid 80s indicated. I instead paid a certified appraiser to provide valuation as they sit today, and since all the parts are off, and they are simply shells, the value was cheap. Just glad I didn't get them done or close to done before paying the taxes.

Grant

Here in Kansas, one of the reasons I live here still, you can title any car with a Bill Of Sale as long as 1. it doesn't come up stolen at highway patrol and 2. the vin tag hasn't been tampered with or removed. If the vin has be tampered with, they will impound the vehicle and you'll never get it back.

WHY WOULD HE EVEN SHARE this information. He might as well tell people, "Hey, if you want to register a stolen/shady car, here is how you do it." I always liked his posts when he was here, but I am not a fan of his YouTube channel at all. I gave it a chance, and that was it>

They do check against a national database of stolen vehicles, and you have to have their bill of sale signed by the previous owner. So it is legit.
Sure, you could forge it, but then you are doing just that - commiting a felony. Someone that shady probably would vin swap, etc.

If a car is NOT stolen, it is a CAR. A hunk of materials iron, rubber, plastic. A CAR.
Since it is a crime to mess with a vin, that should be present, otherwise it is a pile of parts.

Missouri, for example, does titles with a bill of sale, no notary required. But it does have to be inspected by a state inspector and all that does is write down the vin and mileage.

Why do some states insist on title work for old cars to be so hard????? Dunno!

Like said, every state is different.

Hawaii can be really, really difiiculut- possibly the worst in the nation, on this issue. They mostly want taxes and money. Lots of both. But it is interesting, I have a bunch of jeeps that "fell off" the system for back taxes, they sent a guy all the way to my house and looked at the vehicles and the VIN number and certified them. then it was easy to title. Wierd. But I also had the titles. I wanted to "put the plates in storage" - so I couldn't "safety" them.

Hawaii can be really, really difiiculut- possibly the worst in the nation, on this issue. They mostly want taxes and money. Lots of both. But it is interesting, I have a bunch of jeeps that "fell off" the system for back taxes, they sent a guy all the way to my house and looked at the vehicles and the VIN number and certified them. then it was easy to title. Wierd. But I also had the titles. I wanted to "put the plates in storage" - so I couldn't "safety" them.
It's always about money.

If it's sold as a parts car, from what I was told then it's okay as it will never be titled. I've walked away from cars before because they were being sold with a bill of sale only. You need registration to get a title, again this is what my local dmv says
In FL, you Ain't getting your car registered, with out a title

We do not have titles per se, however we now use a transfer of ownership document from seller. Tax is due on the book valuation or the purchase price on the document, whichever is higher.
I went through this method when I brought a car across the border. I had all the proper customs forms filled out, and the registration, so there wasn't any issues since Canada (British Columbia is where the car was registered) doesn't have titles like most states have.

-
Back