Legend in his own mind

-

75ddart

Reaction score
So, I install my rebuilt center section yesterday, and today I take off to the local AZ , just to pick up some gear oil. Should've known better but all I get there once in a great while is fluids. I pick up 3 qrts. of gear oil and a manager proceeds to tell me about his 572 cubic inch motor that he keeps getting pulled over by the cops because he runs it with open headers on the street. I said well what would you expect? then without thinking goes onto the next subject of having license on it and Pa having different types of plates ect. Little does he know I am a Pa. State insp. mechanic, have been for over 25 years. Was amusing standing there at first trying to impress me as I slowly keep stepping towards the door, before the sh#@t starts to get to deep. He then proceeds to tell me that he has 2200 horse power. My next question was have you had it on a dyno ? He says no and goes onto to tell me that everytime he changes the gears in his quick change rear the fluid has metal in it. I say well, it sounds to to me like the gears are not set up right, I don't know about those types of rears and I don't claim to. As I'm constantly heading to the door he is still running at the mouth. I was in a hurry, but I felt like asking him for his autograph as apparently he thinks he is a legend. Sorry I had to share. :burnout:

He was so used to telling every 18 y/o ricer that story, he didnt sense you were actually a real car guy! Theres one in every auto parts store isnt there?

We have all been cornered by this type at some time in life. Most times I walk away shaking my head. Sometimes they just won't let you and you have to call them out. Then let them walk away with their tail between their legs. I sure as hell don't know it all but I know bullshit when I smell it! :D

Don't know if he dazzling me with his BS or waiting to see what I had to one up him. I just wanted to get gear oil and get the H out of there, but I get my oil plus entertainment to. If I had the time to challenge him I would've. Been in the car hobby for many years, had street cars, drag cars and had my own business for 9 years. It never seezes to amaze me the stories you hear. There was a younger guy there with his eyes bugged out from all the info this guy was spewing out, but I just kept aknowledging him as I'm trying to escape the high tech info that I didn't request with my oil purchase. I guess I had stupid car guy stamped on my forehead. Should've went to my local NAPA, or Federated, where real parts guys work the counter, oh well you would think I would learn.

We have all been cornered by this type at some time in life. Most times I walk away shaking my head. Sometimes they just won't let you and you have to call them out. Then let them walk away with their tail between their legs. I sure as hell don't know it all but I know bullshit when I smell it! :D

Yes, if I would've had the time I could've throwed him under the bus, but past experience with guys like him just emboldens them to press on. Don't know if he was coming on to me or not. At 52 I guess I still have it ha,ha, Not my type, I don't swing on that side of the fence. :burnout:

We hear the stories all too often. The "dude" whose "friend" has a chevelle that he cant drive on the street 'cause he needs 125 octane jet fuel, and he cant pull away from a stoplight without lighting 'em up no matter how light he feathers it. Uh, yeah, ok.

Too funny.

If both cars were in the same area, I'd suggest that $1000 says my dinky motored 450hp Dart/Duster would drag that 2200hp big inch car in the 1/4.

That usually stops the talk.

Sometimes it's fun to listen to people spin a story that is beyond belief.

Too funny.

If both cars were in the same area, I'd suggest that $1000 says my dinky motored 450hp Dart/Duster would drag that 2200hp big inch car in the 1/4.

That usually stops the talk.

Sometimes it's fun to listen to people spin a story that is beyond belief.

The sad part is there are guys/gals out there that believe them. I used to work with a guy everyday that spewed crap, and would tell a lie on top of a lie. Nice guy otherwise, but man could he sling it. Back in my younger days this same co worker kept telling me just how bad his bigblock 454 was in his truck that he rebuilt. We both worked 3rd shift and on a Wednesday night he drives this badass truck into work. So after the shift which was Thursday morning I hang around waiting for him to change the oil in his truck. I had just been putzing around waiting for him to leave with him not knowing my intensions. I planned to leave just when he did. I followed him up the road in my 86 Dodge 150 with a 2 barrel 318. At the light he gets on this 454 and I was on his azz the whole way up the road until I get to my place then turn off. That night I called him out and said, yep that 454 is badazz, so bad it couldn't pull a stock 318, his excuse, he had a miss and was only running on 7 cyls. I and other's just laughed. When he was putting oil in it after the change at the shop. I could clearly tell it wasn't rebuilt. Looked like it was pulled out of a car and installed in his truck, looked as though it had came out of a derby car, but was supposed to be a rebuilt, badazz bigblock.

I had someone tell me that their friend had a mustang gt with so much power, it would make all 4 tires spin. :violent2:

I had a similiar experience at AutoZone , i whent there in my Hemi Cuda conv clone and the counter guys came out to see the car . One of them opens his mouth and says why didnt you put a gen 2 hemi in instead of a 5.7 , i told him it was a gen 2 528 stroker( see pic ) and he says my dad raced hemis for years and he knows what a real hemi looks like . The other 3 counter guys told the idiot he was wrong but he just kept going and told me his dads racecar would blow my doors off ........ i laughed all the way home

I was talking to a security guy at Newark airport. He said he and some of the people in their club had ricers with 900 hp. I said what do you do with them. He said they drag race. I said that was kinda hard to swallow. How much is one of these engines to build. He says some number like twelve grand or something. I kinda wonder where they get the cash. He said there were a couple of guys with well over 11 or 1200 hp. Lots more money involved. He was a nice guy so I didnt say anything mean, but I let him know that all of was hard to swallow. He invited me me to go to the drags with him, but I dont live there so I decline. I do a little research and sure enough everything he said was factual. I so wanted to open my trap, good thing I didnt.

well if you put 40psi boost on your smallblock what do you think . chevy cyclone 4.3l 6 psi boost= 300hp at 4800 redline /indy cars 120cu. in. 50psi= 1500hp

Yeah, some of those ricers can be pretty fast.

Well there are essentially two types of ricers...the ones with an old ish but well taken care of jap car with legit parts on it, and the ones that have a beat up jap car full of stickers and a big honkin wing that is on backwards and dual exausts, still havent figured out why one would put duals on a 4 banger LOL.

Fairy tales start with "once upon a time."

Car guy's stories start with "this ain't no bulls***."

Famous opening lines,

"I know a guy"........

"Back when I raced".......

"I heard about a car in a garage".......

"There was this old guy in town who had"........

"I used to race with Sox & Martin".........

"It was a special order car that was snuck out the back door of the factory"....

Similar happens in this forum at least 3 times a day. A simple straight forward answer is never proper. Another will discount that answer and proceed to type a fuckin book on the subject, with references !
You'll never get your car fixed if you spend your remaining days reading.
Shall I provide 3 or 4 links here like they do ? ROFL

Similar happens in this forum at least 3 times a day. A simple straight forward answer is never proper. Another will discount that answer and proceed to type a fuckin book on the subject, with references !
You'll never get your car fixed if you spend your remaining days reading.
Shall I provide 3 or 4 links here like they do ? ROFL

Here, here, here, and here.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. lol

-
Back