Legendary door panel install

-

Her1970

Reaction score
I recieved my legendary front door panels Sat so I was pumped to install today. For those who installed themselves, did you use the original panel clips or buy new ones? I ask this because for some reason you can see a bump in the fabric every place I put a clip. Did I do something wrong? Thought this would be easy to do.

Going to be making a set, plan on getting new clips, for whatever that's worth.

Sounds like you went to far when you cut out the pre-marked areas for the clips. You should only cut out 1/2 the thickness of the cardboard so that way the clip won't show so much.

Also the clips on the sides from the bottom going up were a different type.
They are flatter and made of stamped steel rather than wire.

If you have already removed the cardboard from the clip slot down to the back of the vinyl then you are screwed.

The only thing I can think of to fix it would be to loosen the vinyl around the edges and insert some plastic or cardboard to spread the load and show less of the clips.

I almost made the same mistake....luckily I looked at the old door panels I had before I ruined all the slots.

Mop

Sounds like you went to far when you cut out the pre-marked areas for the clips. You should only cut out 1/2 the thickness of the cardboard so that way the clip won't show so much.

Also the clips on the sides from the bottom going up were a different type.
They are flatter and made of stamped steel rather than wire.

If you have already removed the cardboard from the clip slot down to the back of the vinyl then you are screwed.

The only thing I can think of to fix it would be to loosen the vinyl around the edges and insert some plastic or cardboard to spread the load and show less of the clips.

I almost made the same mistake....luckily I looked at the old door panels I had before I ruined all the slots.

Mop

That sounds like the probem to me. When I put mine in I removed just enoug of the cardboard to get the clip in the panel. You may be able to put some cardboard back in and that may help.

I just did mine last summer, and I guess I did mine wrong too. I took mine down to the backing of the foam/vinyl. Mine don't show from the front though?!?

sept09040Medium.jpg

Thanks for the above post I figured it out tonight. Not supposed to take it down the the backing and you actually split the cardboard back to insert the clips. Didn't ruin the panels, thank goodness. Here is a pic of final install. THANKS

IMG00371-20100315-1856.jpg

I just did mine last summer, and I guess I did mine wrong too. I took mine down to the backing of the foam/vinyl. Mine don't show from the front though?!?

sept09040Medium.jpg

Brian T I did mine the same way also. Oh well live and learn.

Even mine show on the sides cause I didn't have the original flat stamped steel clips....with the doors closed you can't see them though...8)

-
Back