Legit to cut grove in cam for better oiling?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I’m trying to remove my cam to give to my engine guy who is doing work on my eddie performer rpm heads. Before I do this I thought I’d ask the community if this is necessary and sounds legit. He suggested that he can cut a grove in the cam which will increase oil flow to the heads and ultimately the rocker assemblies and shafts. He said that sometimes with mopar the heads don’t get sufficient oil to the rocker assemblies without this modification. Is this legit and something worthwhile to pull the cam while I have him working on my heads?

I’m trying to remove my cam to give to my engine guy who is doing work on my eddie performer rpm heads. Before I do this I thought I’d ask the community if this is necessary and sounds legit. He suggested that he can cut a grove in the cam which will increase oil flow to the heads and ultimately the rocker assemblies and shafts. He said that sometimes with mopar the heads don’t get sufficient oil to the rocker assemblies without this modification. Is this legit and something worthwhile to pull the cam while I have him working on my heads?

Or just put full groove cam bearings in it and leave the cam alone.
But sure, it's a common thing to do.

Is that the best answer you guys can come up with for this guy?
We all know that you do not want a grooved bearing and you do not want to groove the camshaft to get more oil up to the top since it would be taking oil away from his rods.

LovetheAs
Get a copy of how to Hotrod a small block Mopar or how to build big inch small blocks whatever the name of the book is and read up on the oil system modifications for feeding oil to the heads. It involves putting a crossover tube so that you have full-time oil to the heads and you are not taking away from the rods.
Check page 9 and 10 of this thread.

Any one interested in the oiling mods I did?

Last edited:
:popcorn:

the mopar circle track cam I purchased came grooved and it caused a problem / they said to restrict oil to rockers after install .

Not sure who's doing your work but it's not a "common problem". Shaft rockers (mopar and a couple others) don't need much for oil. That being said - over the years some changes have been made by the cam manufacturers that I "undo", and a couple things I do to add a little flow to the top. None of that includes grooving the camshaft. If the power end clearances are right, and the machining is good or great, there's no detriment to the lower end by slightly increasing the oil to the top. If he's familiar with mopars he will be doing other work to increase the oil to the lower end anyway.

Edit - saw your other post - the engine is not being rebuilt...lol. I didn't realize. Depending on what the cam has for holes now - enlarge the oiling holes in the cam to 5/16" all the way through the cam, and add small chamfers in the direction of rotation to the holes once enlarged. You don't need to groove it.

Last edited:
-
Back