Lend me your experience

-

Projectile Dart

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a auto to manual swap on my dart. The current 360 was running fine but I am fairly certain the valve seals were leaking. Since I am most likely going to need to pull the crank to get it drilled for pilot bushing anyway, my plan was to do a very basic breakdown of the motor and check all seals and bearings, and only replace what is needed on the short block and clean everything up really well. On the heads I would like to replace seals, and do some very minor gasket matching and bowl work. I don't want to change the shape of the ports at all, I just want to smooth out the rough spots a little. Followed by smoothing out the tops of the valves then hand lapping them to their seats. The engine is in stock form out of a 1976 motorhome with an edelbrock performer intake and headers. Approximately 80k miles, 99% of which were pulling a 9,000 lb motorhome from Arkansas to California and back.
My question is this, what are your tips and tricks to maximize the stock parts on a small block. I want to avoid any cam swap out of fear of the current state of chinesium parts and lifters on the market. This isn't a "high horsepower build" and I don't really have any expectations of huge power increases from doing this, I just want a reliable cruiser and if I can do a couple free or at least minimal cost garage mods then I can consider that.
Again I would like to stay as stock as possible and really the only part I might consider changing is pistons to bump compression a tiny bit if that will wake up the engine a little without snowballing into a whole line of additional parts that need to be swapped. In general I want to try and avoid taking anything to a machine shop for cost reasons UNLESS I find any imperfections (gouged cylinder walls or terrible bore taper) to be absolutely necessary or if there is a consensus on operations that should absolutely be done to increase efficiency.
Go easy on me, while I've opened engines before to change a part here and there (Ive re-ringed an engine before and I've done a crank swap before) This will be the most involved I have ever gotten inside a small block. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I should add, I have a backup motor (1973 360 block) That was in my Dart when I bought it but I have confirmed that it has been opened up at some point because a lot of parts are mis-matched throughout the engine. If there is anything that you think I can pull off of there to compare to what I have in my current engine, I am open to that.
For example, I am considering pulling all of the pushrods out of both engines to pick 16 of the most identical ones in length to try and equalize those measurements. Any other ideas?

i'd probably send the cam and lifters out for a resurface and regrind to something a little hotter. port match the intake to the heads. a good valve job to go with the "refresh" on the heads. if you've got rotators on the exhaust valves adios those. some fresh springs & locks would be cheap insurance.

if it's within the budget, pistons would be nice. but forgoing that, maybe a reasonable skim on the heads to pick up a little compression bump.

but other than that, standard rebuild practices of: good machine/assembly work, top quality components and attention to detail should yield a very reasonable outcome.

First off any time you open an engine you better have a couple grand laying around, all the little stuff adds up. The 76 heads are smog heads, good heads in my opinion just have to plug the holes above the exhaust ports and do some porting. There’s a lot of meat In The bowls that can go but the ports them selves are pretty good sized just a gasket match on that side and shave them down a bit and you should see quite difference. Thats my experience with the 596 head anyway. But as long as you have it apart I would go ahead and get a rebuild kit right away.

Instead of drilling the crank for a stock pilot bushing, I'd just use the later Magnum bearing. It fits right in the converter register.....no drilling needed.

Instead of drilling the crank for a stock pilot bushing, I'd just use the later Magnum bearing. It fits right in the converter register.....no drilling needed.
Mopar Performance P4876056AA Mopar Performance Pilot Bearings | Summit Racing

Is this what you are talking about?
I had not considered this. So I don't need to cut or modify anything with this bearing? I just press it on to my current crank in the motor and I'm good to go? That would simplify this whole process a ton. 99% of the reason for pulling the engine apart was to drill the crank.

Yes, that's the one. Knock it in the end of the crank and you should be good to go. Just make sure the crank does have a deep enough hole. In '76, it should, but, check it anyway. If it isn't, there are a couple or remedies. Either drill the crank hole deeper (it doesn't need to be finished for a bushing however, just a rough hole to accept the transmission input shaft) or, lop off just enough of the trans input shaft to get the clearance.

Mopar Performance P4876056AA Mopar Performance Pilot Bearings | Summit Racing

Is this what you are talking about?
I had not considered this. So I don't need to cut or modify anything with this bearing? I just press it on to my current crank in the motor and I'm good to go? That would simplify this whole process a ton. 99% of the reason for pulling the engine apart was to drill the crank.
In the 90's all we did was take a pilot bushing to the local alternator/starter shop. he had a small lathe and he would cut down the od and it would knock into a crank from an automatic car.
worked three times for me. No need to drill a crank.

-
Back