lengthening radius rods?

-

52fordF-3

new to A bodies
Reaction score
I've cranked the torsion bars on my 64 dart to raise the front end about 2" or 3"s. this moved the front wheels/tires forward about 2" i'm guessing.

I'd like to center back in wheel well opening and have made some adjustable sleeves that i plan to use to make the factory radius rods about 1" londer and also be adjustable.

not working on this type of front suspension before i'm looking for advice,
it appears i'm going to add some negative caster that i hope in can correct by adjusting upper control arm (they have ecentric washer/bolts installed already).

any thoughts or suggestions?

i'll post some pictures soon.......

Those eccentrics are the only adjustments for both caster and camber.
There isn't a lot of adjustment to be had with factory parts.
Here's what I would do in your case... I would first buy the special esoteric bolt kit that has under cut bolts which will gain some adjustment.
If the front end guy still can't get close to correct I would install the offset upper arm bushings which will provide even more adjustment.
I went with the under cut bolts first because they turn. The offset bushings come with instructions for install but without standing before and studying your set up I cant say if you need to follow those instructions or install them opposite the instructions . They dont.turn.

initial installation went good, is easy to adjust and works well....

RedFish; do you have a link to the eccentric bolts that will give some extra adjustment? I was looking but couldn't find

here's a couple pictures, next is to modify steering to clear cheby oil pan........

any links, ideas etc.... to help me with initial aligment out there. I'm just new to A bodies.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Just wondering if anybody has actually used those camber bolts. The application info doesn't list them for any Mopar earlier than 1979. Do they actually work on A bodies?

Good question.
Even if they went in A-body, Lack of the eccentric washers would mean tighten the crap out of them and hope they dont move.
Oh well... Moogs offset bushings are the only other option.

The tires moved forward? you have a problem.

when raising the front ride height through cranking the torsion bars the wheel/tire has no choice but to move forward. the torsion bar forces the lower control arm down, the front mounting point of the radius rod is the pivot point that makes the lower control arm move forward as it swing down, the same way the tire/wheel will move inward when moving down.

sorry, probably didn't explain clearly.

RedFish said:
it might be a safer bet and a lot less trouble to purchase adjustable strut rods too.

Have you priced those adjustable radius arms? this is a budget build. And i'm a more of builder than a buyer, but no worries the pair i've made are very safe.

-
Back