Less than a month and I scored again.

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So this morning, bright and early I see a PM from a buddy by the name of @halfafish and he shows me an ad from an undisclosed website for a free slant six. This is VERY near and I'm familiar with the area in the ad.

All the stars lined up and now I have a spare slant. This one is a 71 and it's a good one that was removed for a v8 swap. It's partially disassembled but came with everything. Even came with some wheel covers and an original 71 radio and original steering wheel.

The block is a "BF" block.

Couldn't be sweeter for the price. ... which was $0.00.

Thanks halfafish for the sharp eye.

20201110_180949.jpg

20201110_180944.jpg

20201110_181016.jpg

20201110_181621.jpg

20201110_181052.jpg

20201110_180931.jpg

What is the significance of a BF block?

I don't know but ol triple R was saying it means something.

I like 318willrun's idea of what it means because a good slant is always your buddy when you need it to be reliable.

BH castings are supposed to be somewhat thicker and stronger. I don't know anything about "BF" castings. Not that it matters. A free slant six is good no matter what. Nice score.

Since you have a surplus, you should bore it some ridiculous amount, deck the head some ridiculous amount, build it hot, and see how long it'll live under your lead foot.

BH castings are supposed to be somewhat thicker and stronger. I don't know anything about "BF" castings. Not that it matters. A free slant six is good no matter what. Nice score.
I agree but I would still like to know more about the mysterious "BH" and "BF" makings.

I bet the crews who cast these blocks would have never guessed that 50 years later, people would want to know what the markings mean...

Awesome! Did it have that heater hose bracket you were looking for. I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest, and haven't looked to see if one came with my / yet. Congrats on the snag...and good on @halfafish for hooking you up!

:thumbsup:

Awesome! Did it have that heater hose bracket you were looking for. I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest, and haven't looked to see if one came with my / yet. Congrats on the snag...and good on @halfafish for hooking you up!

:thumbsup:
Nope, this one was missing that bracket too, so now I'm a few of them down lol

:D:D:D:D:D

I did a preliminary search and didn't see one, but I will dump all my buckets out tomorrow and look real good. I cannot STAND those and may have chunked them all.....but I thought I kept one. Anything that runs hoses and whatnot over the engine I cannot stand. I always route my heater hoses over on the passenger's side fenderwell because it makes the engine look a lot neater. The slant valve covers are so cool, who in their right mind would want to cover up all that goodness?

BF stands for Big Foot....

That engine was in Big Foot's car....

Or as Bubbles would say, samsquanch....

Samsquanch 02.jpg

Samsquanch 01.jpg

-
Back