Let it begin

-

hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
I've been gathering the parts to do my 6 to 8 conversion and I think I'm about there . Pictured is a 360 Mag 30 over with massaged heads , 727 with Hughes 3000 stall TC , Speedcool aluminum radiator , 8 3/4 rear end with 489 case 3.23 sure grip and not pictured are the Doug's headers and Tanks Inc tank and fuel pump .
I'm starting on the rear end first then moving forward . I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions and I'll try and post some pics along the way .

IMG_20180922_141334.jpg

IMG_20180922_151115.jpg

IMG_20180922_151142.jpg

I've been gathering the parts to do my 6 to 8 conversion and I think I'm about there . Pictured is a 360 Mag 30 over with massaged heads , 727 with Hughes 3000 stall TC , Speedcool aluminum radiator , 8 3/4 rear end with 489 case 3.23 sure grip and not pictured are the Doug's headers and Tanks Inc tank and fuel pump .
I'm starting on the rear end first then moving forward . I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions and I'll try and post some pics along the way .

View attachment 1715226818

View attachment 1715226819

View attachment 1715226820

Gotta love it !

How long have you been driving it with that fire breathing S6? Gonna be a whole new animal when you're done:thumbsup: You have a fast ratio steering box in it already?

Well I made some progress today and found a major surprise , when I pulled the drums off everything was brand new in the brake assembly accept there were no wheel cylinder link pins on either side . Amazing how you can drive a car and not realize you don't have rear brakes but then again it is a slanty.

MVIMG_20180923_153102.jpg

IMG_20180923_191828.jpg

IMG_20180923_191834.jpg

Progress slowed this week due to work but I'm getting ready to install the new gas tank in the next couple of days . I'll post some pics and I'll also have a couple of parts for free (exhaust , gas tank) posted . Parts will be pick up only .

Progress slowed this week due to work but I'm getting ready to install the new gas tank in the next couple of days . I'll post some pics and I'll also have a couple of parts for free (exhaust , gas tank) posted . Parts will be pick up only .
I remember installing my new tank....laying on my back on my garage floor, both feet against the tank, both hands also working the tank, a flashlight in my mouth.....good times - LOL
Kinda a PITA!
But worth it! Use lots of dish soap on the big rubber seal...

Jeff

OK I've been side tracked with family and business plus USPS decided to hold my leaf spring bushings on the north side of town for a week . So now I'm ready to get started again . I'm posting a pic of the exhaust I removed and its free to anyone that wants to pick it up and I also have the original gas tank free to anyone , again pick up only and sorry no sending unit .

IMG_20180928_191943.jpg

This question is for anyone that has installed a fuel tank with in tank pump , once the tank is installed is there enough room to connect my fuel and return lines ? Seems like it will be a little tight . Oh and the new leafs are installed .Thanks

Well I made some more progress and I found out for Lord's sake rough in all electrical and plumbing for the fuel tank before you do the install . Next up rear end assembly .

IMG_20181006_170818.jpg

MVIMG_20181006_170826.jpg

IMG_20181006_171822.jpg

Looks like your moving along very well. When do you expect to be back on road? Keep up the good work.
Rod

Well I finally got everything back together and I ran into one problem , I'm using SBP axles and I had new LBP drums drilled to fit . What I didn't realize was the difference in the LBP and SBP axle flanges so for now i'm going to shim my drums so I can move forward with the motor swap . I'll save my pennies and order new LBP axles and no I'm not driving the car anywhere I just want to be able to move it around .

I'm back with a question , will my small brake set up from my 7 1/4 fit on the 8 3/4 housing with my sbp axles ? I will go to big bolt axles at some point but my budget just got hurt , my transmission went out on my truck while I was out of town and I can't wait to see what thats going to cost . The brake situation is not really important right now since the car is not going to be driven anytime soon just thinking out loud .

Well I have the motor ready to drop out , so I should be posting some pics in the next couple of days . I sure am sore from picking myself up off the floor .

Well I have the motor ready to drop out , so I should be posting some pics in the next couple of days . I sure am sore from picking myself up off the floor .
I'm 51, almost 52 next month. ....all that getting up and down and crawling around is getting a bit harder these days!

Jeff

-
Back