Let the job cuts begin

-

megajoltman

Time to NUT UP or SHUT UP
Reaction score
My employer is 60 million in the red (thanks Winter Olympics2010 cost overruns.

The initial estimates by the VSR team and our consultants are that we can save $10 million in 2010 and $29 million by 2012, and will impact approximately 58 full time equivalent positions in 2010, increasing to 200 in 2012. Retirement and attrition will be the preferred method to address the reductions.

Chop chop:shaking:

I might have a 69 Dart for sale soon

By the sounds of it, you my friend, are a city employee.

Sure sounds like someone in there isn't doing their job properly. I see how the "new council" member is blaming the last council, even though he was on council last term. Something about that guy that I just don't like. :angry7:

Hope your job is safe, it's not like they can afford to cut all these positions without it affecting their overall operation.

Good Luck.

I think these 2010 Olympics will be an albatross around the neck of Vancouver and BC residents - read TAXPAYERS - for many years to come. Sad state of affairs at the moment.

I seen on the news this morning that the First Lady is gonna push real hard for the 2016 olympics to be in Chicago. That was my fist thought...who's gonna pay for this??...The state of Illinois is in such bad finacial shape that It will never recover...PLEASE TAX US SOME MORE!!!!!!!!......idiots

I think these 2010 Olympics will be an albatross around the neck of Vancouver and BC residents - read TAXPAYERS - for many years to come. Sad state of affairs at the moment.

You got it Sid, I'm so disgusted with the Olympics (summer or winter) in general because of what it eventually costs the taxpayer, both provincial and federal or state and federal. The organizers always start off by saying "oh don't you know it'll pay for itself" because of all the out of country and advertiser money that it'll bring in. That's B.S., name me an Olympics held anywhere at anytime in the past that broke even (without cooking the books). The only people that benefit, other than the athletes, are the local businesses for a very short period and of course let's not forget the Olympic Committees and all their clingons who think they've the god given right to be wined and dined, and don't forget "greased" by anyone worthy enough to gain their favour. Then there's the poor schmuck who tries to get tickets without first taking out a mortgage and giving up their first born. It sucks and I'm sick of it.

Terry

...name me an Olympics held anywhere at anytime in the past that broke even (without cooking the books).

Terry -
Granted it's been a few years, but the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles reportedly did. The key to that was most of the venues were already in place.

Terry, you're smack on! The price of ticket packages would make an oil sheik faint. And yeah, the athletes, TV stations, and committee members seem to expect, and get, whatever is avaiable on the grease-me scale, while Joe taxpayer gets bent over the table again.

Yup the city made some bad choices, I'm in a unique position so who knows but my job was mandated by WorkSafeBC in 90s. Believe me I have seen huge amounts of wasted taxpayers money. There is so many hidden cost overruns and wasted money (perks) for the 2010 Olympics that have not leaked out. There was big uproar by the public over the Provincial Govnt employees being payed there wages for "volunteering" for the games, mean while the City has the same racket going on under the radar so to speak.

Up here, rumor has they will be laying off 250 or so workers on the North Slope..... While we keep buying Oil from the Mid East, and our local natural gas co is saying they may run out of gas in the cold parts of the year this winter.................

Sometimes things just don't add up, common sense is out the window.

We export most of are fuel pretty bad when I can drive 20 min and cross the boarder and are gas cheaper even with exchange.To many tree hugers here so no new refinery's.

I know exactly what will happen here the first to be cut are the cleaning staff,then receptionist, next the secretary but were so top heavy with management its sickening.

want to see top heavy management, you should take a look at the united states postal service.....not uncommon to see 1 boss for 7-8 workers....

One area we have 1 big boss, 2 little bosses, one workers supervisor overseeing 7 worker:stop:

Have a staff meeting with the head Director this morning so I guess will see whats happening.

-
Back