Let there be.........TRAILER WENCH LOL

-
Ok so today I at least got the "trailer wench" mounted. I didn't want to spend a lot of time and money on this, because eventually, if I live long enough, I want to mod the tongue so it'll tilt, like this:

I saw one of these where a guy used nothing more than a floor jack in a pan under the bed.

Flatbed%20Tilt%20Trailer%20Plan%20L06-400.jpg

Also, when I mounted the receiver, this was intended for a smaller planetary drive, about 1500--2500 lb "cheap" winch. In other words I should probably beef this somewhat, but it's certainly enough for the forseeable future

Anyhow, the picchhrrrers

The stinger is one of those cheepo Horrid Freight things with a step plate, which I cut off. The horrid hole near the end is intentionally ragged....the big padlock has to go in at somewhat of an angle. After I got it all done, I should have welded some gusset near the padlock to make cutting it out more difficult

'N let's not forget that you can just stuff this wench into your pickup hitch receiver, so "pretty dam handy"

I'm sure I'll be reworking this if I get the tilt tongue going.

Attachments

• _MG_7754cs.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 84
  • _MG_7755cs.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 79
  • _MG_7756cs.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_7757cs.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,574
Neat install on the 2" tube.
How are you going to mount the battery?
I used a marine case to hold mine in the corner of the bed.

Pretty neat set up Del.
As for the tilt bed, that's got to be a pretty shallow incline...
C

Neat install on the 2" tube.
How are you going to mount the battery?
I used a marine case to hold mine in the corner of the bed.

Much of my use nowadays is pretty temporary. Once / if I get the pickup running, I may string a cable front/ rear and use a welding cable connector For now, I just set the battery in a marine box, into the storage box in front

Pretty neat set up Del.
As for the tilt bed, that's got to be a pretty shallow incline...
C

I think it'll be just right. My old trailer was a lot lower. Mainly what I need is to reduce the ramp angle for low cars. I can't even load the Dart without jacking up the front.

I'd add some gussets to the Tube on the Winch Plate & Receiver on the Trailer. Or convert it to Two Tubes. It's pretty easy to twist things up to the point of FUBAR with a Single Tube Mount.

You need to tie that front C channel to the tongue or you're going to bend the **** out of it first heavy pull. TRUST me I've been a TRAILER fabricator for the past 15 years. I was trying to embellish my words like you do when you answer somebody. How'd i do? Lol. And that style tilt that you posted suck. You want a full deck tilt and yes you can use a jack welded to the cross members I've built several for guys over the years.

Like I said........I'll undoubtedly rework this whole deal when I convert the thing to tilt. This is plenty strong to pull a ROLLING car onto the trailer, and I won't be hauling cats, excavators, buildings, or dead buffalo, LOL.

I do realize this is not as strong as it might be, so to repeat........the receiver was installed with a 2000 lb planetary cheapie in mind.

Always chuckle when I see people with big winches on there trailer. Winches are rated for pulling "dead" weight.....vehicles stuck in the mud. When you add in the fact that winching a car, on tires, reduces the amount of pull a big winch just is not needed. I have loaded a 99 Explorer on our trailer with a 2k rated come-a-long, no snatch block. Guessing the Explorer weighs over 4k pounds, which puts it a good deal heavier than an A-body. Fact of the matter is with that much winch you could pull a rolling 20k pound load up a 40% incline. Figuring your ramps are probably closer to 20% incline you could pull a (guessing here) rolling 25k load on to the deck of a trailer. Suggest contacting SuperWinch, I found there chart on Etrailers site with your argument over it.....

Shouldn't a "trailer wench" be posted in the "Mopar Babes" thread???? LOL!

-
Back