"Lets be honest" Revisited

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
Reading through the "Lets be Honest" thread -

Which engine (5.7? Car? Truck? ) has the alternator mount on the high passenger side like this - and can the alternator be mounted on the 6.1 in the same place?

attachment.php

Well, that's a bit of a trick question with the picture you posted. I believe that's HemiJoeJr's ride, and he made that alternator mount like that himself. That's originally a truck front cover (can tell from the radiator hoses) that he mounted the alternator in a slightly different location and made up his own bracket for. You probably know where it normally mounts (more top center), but if you take it and mount the ear of the alternator that's normally closer to the center of the engine on the outside mounting hole you get what HemiJoe did, however you have to make some sort of bracket to hold the other end of the alternator. I suppose it's possible on a 6.1, but you'd have to have a truck front cover which I'm not sure they ever came with (maybe the new Jeeps?), but a 5.7 one might fit anyway.

The 5.7L truck front cover will work with the 6.1L but won't work with the car intake. Which won't be a problem for Rat Patrol since he's going to go carb anyway.

I'd really like to find a power steering unit with the white attached resivoir. I can't seem to locate one....

Riddler

The 5.7L truck front cover will work with the 6.1L but won't work with the car intake. Which won't be a problem for Rat Patrol since he's going to go carb anyway.

I'd really like to find a power steering unit with the white attached resivoir. I can't seem to locate one....

Riddler

Like this one?

c9e90420.jpg

I got that off a SRT8 jeep.

I'm working on the truck timing cover to be used with a car 5.7 intake manifold or a 6.1 and you would only need to make 2 brackets to position the alt and ac compressor. It should be done this week sometime.

I'm working on the truck timing cover to be used with a car 5.7 intake manifold or a 6.1 and you would only need to make 2 brackets to position the alt and ac compressor. It should be done this week sometime.

That's nice!

I thought it would be cool for the guys using a truck engine, and the cover could be done on an exchange bassis for real cheap. Just trying to help everyone out and I think I got the cost down to 125 bucks plus shipping.

Guess I'll wait till the motor gets here and see what can be fabbed up.

Worst case I'll just clearance the frame rail.

-
Back