Lets Play a game

-
looks like some work a small local shop does-- he caked bondo in to re-create a curved body line on a 65 impala. He told me the owner would not pay for proper repairs-- not sure how that works out when it fails some time later, Lawrence

You couldn;t get 1/4s for those cars for years. Not sure but you may still not be able to. So it lends itself to "creative" artisitic attempts...lol. The filler on the quarters I'm replacing on my '65 is at least 1/4", nevermind the 5 paint jobs over it. It lasted pretty well and the rivets on the patches aren't even rusted...lol.
I'd bet that's only 1/8 or so but the metal was flexing underneath it so it's breaking along the patch line.

When I was 16 I bought an X brand car. Didn't really think to look for certain things back then when buying a car. I could tell the drivers quarter had some work done. Got the car home and starting stripping that quarter to see if any attention was needed. After I got most of the bondo off I pulled the screen wire out and then the newspaper. Lol. Needless to say after I found other major issues with the car I sold it.

I hope they drilled a bunch of adhesion holes in that panel so all that mud will stick better.

I hope they drilled a bunch of adhesion holes in that panel so all that mud will stick better.

Sooner or later they will hit a big bump in the road and it will all be on the pavement ,then it can repaired right:blob:

Sooner or later they will hit a big bump in the road and it will all be on the pavement ,then it can repaired right:blob:

I restored a '65 Galaxy convertible once that was like that. Owner got out at a store, thought he had in park, and it rolled across the parking lot into a tree. The impact knocked the quarters off. The only thing holding the panels on was bondo. Not even rivets.

Some guys out there can be bondo masters. Did a '66 LeSabre convertible once. Found body lines that weren't there when we started. Same thing on a '70 LeMans Sport convertible we did.

Bondo's cheap. Panels cost money.

-
Back