Lets play...guess the gasket!

-

megavites

Reaction score
Ok...Fel Pro gasket kit and being a "new" SB owner, I'm still figuring out things.
I painted the block and was starting with the oil filter housing gasket at the block and.....
is it #7 or #8?
Then I decided...I need Forabodies intervention.......lets play ...name that gasket
3VBfeNyyw4rjy613W-B_Qq1hlClBfhxepBac0Og8pc9QaR0A5yD9VURnhItsiGj8u4dKpZhAG9tLCLHKEpY=w483-h858-no.jpg

iL7zltV8YmTj3g5vdXwwapsVV6-2vJAkiCQYbWbN9m5Z_rPzo-yTHh8XkCMjzuSp4D0zTGPx2BIbHEAV0lf=w483-h858-no.jpg

QmIQN5r7412rdvdDQaHacxAe_u7pbmASy9Gx7YpsrsV0FW3oKJW-BLE03htBafdWbUyTV0f4FvMzl4mh_d7=w483-h858-no.jpg

#7 & 8, oil filter adapter mounting gaskets although 7 could be air cleaner gasket.
#1 fuel pump, #3 is oil pump (throw out ), #4 oil pan drain plug (?), #5 distributor.
those are my best guesses. Bob

both 7 and 8 fit perfectly on the oil filter plate at the block.....I was thinking they both go on?

4 is also for oil filter bolt. Don't forget this one or oil filter adopter will leak.

Last edited:
3 is oil pump.
1 is fuel pump to front cover.

Last edited:
If 6 is the same size as 7 (it's hard to tell scale here) it could also be an oil filter o-ring. Felpro 70078
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fel-70078/overview/

When I was putting my headers on and ordering gaskets for my 90* adapter. I came up with two numbers. Felpro 70522 (your number 7) and the Felpro 70078. I ordered both just incase, they weren't expensive. I ended up using the 70522 (paper style gasket) and not the o-ring. Not sure if the o-ring would work. But if I recall it was listed as correct for some models/years.

The kit probably gave you both to make sure you got whichever one you ended up needing.

#7 is either for the air cleaner base or oil filter plate... The oil filter plate is supposed to be a little thicker than the thinner one with the same diameter...

Use the thicker one for the oil filter plate, then the thinner one for the air cleaner base to carb...

4 is also for oil filter bolt. Don't forget this one or oil filter adopter will leak.

Are you sure???

I've never used a gasket for the oil filter adapter 'bolt'... There is no need to seal that bolt/thread - if it leaks, it leaks into the filter which is no problem... The gasket on the oil filter is what seals it from leaking if the adapter plate is installed correctly...

I would say that it is the drain plug gasket....

#7 is either for the air cleaner base or oil filter plate... The oil filter plate is supposed to be a little thicker than the thinner one with the same diameter...

Use the thicker one for the oil filter plate, then the thinner one for the air cleaner base to carb...

It's definitely for the 90* oil filter adapter/oil filter plate. Trust me. I replaced mine twice trying to get it to seal.

Are you sure???

I've never used a gasket for the oil filter adapter 'bolt'... There is no need to seal that bolt/thread - if it leaks, it leaks into the filter which is no problem... The gasket on the oil filter is what seals it from leaking if the adapter plate is installed correctly...

He's talking about the 90* adapter bolt. You definitly do need a gasket under the head. As it's a hollow bolt that directs oil through the 90* adapter.
dcc-5249624_w_ml.jpg

As you can see from this pic. Oil flows up the center of the hollow bolt. And is directed through the two holes. Without a gasket under the head of the bolt and sufficient pressure oil can make it's way out and up the bolt and under the head. You also should have a gasket at the bottom of the bolt. The mounting surface between the block and the adapter is recessed where the bolt is. And without a gasket down there it won't properly divert flow up the center of the bolt and into the filter. Meaning most of the oil doesn't get filtered.
oiladaptergaskets-jpg.jpg

That's the job of the cork gasket. It helps direct flow up the bolt and through the filter.

Hope this all makes sense.

It's definitely for the 90* oil filter adapter/oil filter plate. Trust me. I replaced mine twice trying to get it to seal.

He's talking about the 90* adapter bolt. You definitly do need a gasket under the head. As it's a hollow bolt that directs oil through the 90* adapter.
View attachment 1715062433
As you can see from this pic. Oil flows up the center of the hollow bolt. And is directed through the two holes. Without a gasket under the head of the bolt and sufficient pressure oil can make it's way out and up the bolt and under the head. You also should have a gasket at the bottom of the bolt. The mounting surface between the block and the adapter is recessed where the bolt is. And without a gasket down there it won't properly divert flow up the center of the bolt and into the filter. Meaning most of the oil doesn't get filtered.
View attachment 1715062434

That's the job of the cork gasket. It helps direct flow up the bolt and through the filter.

Hope this all makes sense.

Yes, it's needed for the 90° adapter, but not for just installing the plate to the block...

Are you sure???

As far as I know there 2 of them that go on the bolt.

s-l225.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know for sure when #8 (the one like a steering wheel or peace sign) is used on the oil filter plate or adaptor? Please no guessing, I think I have a leak.

Does anyone know for sure when #8 (the one like a steering wheel or peace sign) is used on the oil filter plate or adaptor? Please no guessing, I think I have a leak.
The applications I have seen that gasket on was older 318 Poly's and 273's. Not sure on the year.

-
Back