Lets say its 1971, and I wanted to build a 360...

-
Oh, and what size cam would compliment what Ive got, now that I know the specifics?

I don't have an actual cam to recommend but if you're going for image, I'd pick a cam with a really erratic idle that will shake the car when it idles and scare small children.

Well, due to all the doubters, (like RustyRatRod), I pulled the heads off my 360 to see what Ive got. I was pleased to find .060 over H116CP SpeedPro pistons only sitting .010'' in the hole! That puts my compression in the 9.8:1 range! Woot woot!

Hey, you'd never known for sure without checking.

Well, due to all the doubters, (like RustyRatRod), I pulled the heads off my 360 to see what Ive got. I was pleased to find .060 over H116CP SpeedPro pistons only sitting .010'' in the hole! That puts my compression in the 9.8:1 range! Woot woot!

The down side, are the heads only have 1.88 intake valves and not the bigger 2.02s. Either way, thats an easy, and relatively cheap fix!

Now to locate a period correct intake manifold and som fenderwell headers...

Oh, and what size cam would compliment what Ive got, now that I know the specifics?

Two cams in Summit's listing's,I like. Sum 50062 cam & lifter kit,ground by Crane. 228@ .050/.480 lift/110 lobe centers. Second ,Lunati's 226/234 @ .050/.494/.513/ IIRC on a 110 lobe center. The Lunati should make more power,the Summit grind for a shoestring budget. Both should pull past 6000,with matching springs.

The down side, are the heads only have 1.88 intake valves and not the bigger 2.02s. Either way, thats an easy, and relatively cheap fix!

Now to locate a period correct intake manifold and som fenderwell headers...

WTF does that mean? I didn't doubt anything. I simply gave you advice base on what the factory engine was and assuming it was still stock. That's the thanks I get for a nice long explanation of the one year only engine. Next time I'll keep it to myself.

Rusty was not being a "doubter", but was simply sharing information, and stating facts, which caused you to check to see what you had. He may not always have the best bedside manner, but if you will pay attention to his posts, it's obvious, the man is full of knowledge, and information.

I pulled the heads off my 360 to see what Ive got. I was pleased to find .060 over H116CP SpeedPro pistons only sitting .010'' in the hole! That puts my compression in the 9.8:1 range! Woot woot!

Yes, you are at 9.8 compression assuming stock 72 cc heads and a 12.4 cc fel-pro head gasket (.055" thick by 4.174" dia.).

If they mill your heads or you use a thinner gasket than .055", you will be creeping up over 10.0 compression.

your swept volume is: 759.6 cc

volume above piston: 2.12 cc

Yes, you are at 9.8 compression assuming stock 72 cc heads and a 12.4 cc fel-pro head gasket (.055" thick by 4.174" dia.).

If they mill your heads or you use a thinner gasket than .055", you will be creeping up over 10.0 compression.

your swept volume is: 759.6 cc

volume above piston: 2.12 cc

Mr.Gasket 1121 gaskets.. 028 " compressed,personal experience.

Those would put him over 10.0 compression.

Yes,in theory. The bigger camshafts,bleed that off..... A stick shift changes, the game. Comes down to tuning & torque ,with a four speed & 3:55's .

Yes,in theory. The bigger camshafts,bleed that off..... A stick shift changes, the game. Comes down to tuning & torque ,with a four speed & 3:55's .

Not in theory. In reality.

If he has what he says that he has, and actually measured .010" down from the deck on a flat top piston .060" over.

With the fel pro .040" gasket that is approx 8.4 cc, he would be at 10.2.

The Mr. Gasket 1121G would give him 10.5 compression with a 72 cc head.

If he used the gasket kit from mancini racing, it has a 12.4 cc head gasket, which would put him at 9.8 compression.

In reality : a good consistent compression ratio, makes for a easier to on camshaft. Trick is tuning it.

Solid lifter cam

Snorkel Hood scoop

single carb with velocity stack

Rainbow paper and bear hair in the interior

In reality : a good consistent compression ratio, makes for a easier to on camshaft. Trick is tuning it.

I just want him to know that he's over the limit to where he may not be able to run cheap pump gas, and have to run premium.

I'm good on running 93octane. It's intended to be a toy any way. I've got a '70 Swinger with a 198ci that's knocking back 20+mpg that I daily drive.

I dont want a ratrod! Ive lost respect for the majority of that community. Im not a fan of the rubber rats, skulls, spiderwebs and iron crosses everywhere! Im not trying to start that fight on here. I love old patina'd period hot rods. Just not gonna sell out to stupid fads.

When I said I wanted to make my car a rat gasser, its really that I wanna take my ratty old dart, hotrod like they did back in the day. More of a Gasser/StreetFreak hotrod, but without the fancy paint and tuck'n roll covering the interior.

Gotcha. To me a rat rod is anything that the builder built based completely on their opinion and not buying anything of consequence. Home made steering, suspension, body and frame mods, whatever. I don't care if it's a 78 Corolla, a 97 Jeep, or 52 Merc. If you're buying stuff from a catalog to make a Rat Rod you've missed the point...lol.

If it was me - I'd not worry about the valve sizze. Run a large solid lifter cam. Something like the Comp XTQ281S-6 with them long tube fenderwells. It's ina light chassis and will make a ton of noise with a savage sounding idle.

I don't recall if those pistons have valve reliefs? If not, you'll be limited on cam size. Especially if you start pushing the duration numbers up.

A big cam can bleed off plenty of static compression.

Psh, I prefer to row my own! Banging gears is so much more fun than an auto! And from what I've heard, back in the day, 4spds were way cooler than autos!

Now I know the Torqueflights are great transmissions. Hell, my truck has an A727 and myy dd Dart has an A904, but I've always been a manual trams type of guy. Especially in a car that's sole intent is to have fun in.

Have you thought out any balance issues with the cast crank? Do you have a correct flywheel for the 360?

Here's my idea for a rat rod. It ain't mine - something I saw in the parking lot of a bone yard I frequent. Yea, it's a Ford ( I think) with a Chevy motor, but it's WAY cool...

Attachments

• p23.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 128
  • wagon6.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 147
  • p29.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 116
  • wagon8.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 136
  • p27.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 134
  • p26.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 157
Thrush side pipes. Coke bottle Americans and a teardrop scoop vented to the back.

-
Back