Lets talk big block con rods..

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
I have a set of the old stand-by LY but need rebuilt. I'd use em if I thought it was cost effective to rebuild.

So lets talk about aftermarket rods,who's the best and the worst.

What are you using?

RPM makes a nice rod, but you have to check them to make sure they are right. Some need to have the big end resized, and most need the pin end sized(they are tight, and thats ok, better to tight than too loose).

SCAT is the rod I use the most and they are great.

Eagle rods are off the table for me all together. I have had to many issues with them over the years, and I just dont use them any more.

There are many many brands, but most are coming from the same place.

PAW used to run the rebuilt LY rods on Ebay VERY reasonably. Like 150 I think. It was CHEAP. Since all they do now is early Hemi stuff, they are gettin rid of everything else. You might look there and see if some more pop up. They had good rod bolts and all. Ready to go.

In my big block strokers I would only used Manley rods, never had a problem.

Kenny

what are you going to use them in, a 451? they will definitely be happier swinging around a lite piston vs a big heavy cast 440 piston. one thing you have to check is that the pin end is centered you can find a lot with the hole offset having less material around the pin in certain areas.

Ive been running stock 400 rods for 16 years in this motor. 6200 rpm is all she pulls to with the hyd. cam. Upto 600hp I dont see a reason to spend a bunch of money on rods.

IMO they are all about the same. Cycle them all, check the big ends, fix if they go out of round, pin hone the small ends, and you're good to go.

Yes I am planning on using the stock LY in a 451 in combo with a nice light piston,but upon inspection my set looks pretty hammered,with many a pin end being off center.

I agree that a better rod from anyone wont make more h.p,lol.

I'll post up some clear pics of them and you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Ive seen them. If you are really that concerned, pick up a few free sets. I scrap them but keep one set as cores just in case. You can hunt around and find ones taht are not as shifted over if you have enough to look through. But really, they dont break at the pin end much, and Mopar RB rods are very, very strong. They tend to break at the cut next to the bolt head or the cap if they are going to break.

Thats what I figured too when I took more pics,lol. About 1/2 the rods are drilled in the centre and the other half are off a fair ways. But then I thought about it and the only real effect that might happen is you may get different lengths centre to centre. There isnt really that much load at that end,and I'm using very light pistons.

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

I dug arond in my cash drawer and dont have enough for shipping,lol. Got enough,almost for the rods. But then again ebay doesnt deal in cash...

the ad says free shipping...
i use the ly rods in my 431, they are bushed for the floating lighter smaller chevy pin, and the short piston wieghed over 300g less than a stock 440 piston. i think you have to draw the line somewhere. you know how you always want to go faster, always want more power, it would be nice to already have a good set of rods and not worry if you want to change your top end to make some more power. if you think you will be content with a power level the rods wil live at, then go for it. at 150 bucks they are pretty tempting.

Well, what it does is move the weight of the pin end a little off center. That weight is not as crutial in terms internal balancing or harmonics, but if this engine will be revved high (say over 7K) and/or needs to make max power, I'd replace the ones that are offset. What you have would be fine for 70% of builds, and they're fine for lower output deals, but if you are planning to flog it, I'd upgrade. Price-wise, the new stronger rods are not a bad deal and in terms of a complete engine budget, add a few hundred bucks over re-using factories.

I do plan to beat it to death at the track. Stage vi heads will breath well over 6000 rpm so why not?

I'll just keep saving then,as Im not likely to get the funds transferred to paypal in time anyways. There's already only 2 sets of rods left on ebay. Yesterday there was 10!

Thats the problem with ebay in a nutshell; Paypal! I have cash,but to get it to paypal takes about 5-6 business days.Rods will be long gone by then.

No eagle rods for this guy. I'll be keeping an eye out here for a nice set of non eagle bb rods. I've been offered eagle rods for $350/set but Im sure I'll be headed for trouble with them. Seen a few go bang.

the drilling is centered, the casting not.

they are fine, its just visual.

Ive run LY rods beyond 7 k w/no problems ever.

they do have good sets on ebay ready to go for 175'ish, they come with a arp bolt upgrade....some even have the cap screw upgrade, which is the best

I'll keep saving as the last batch of paw rods is likely gone. They do turn up from time to time on fleecebay. And here as well. I'm content to wait for the time being.

And I do have my set,which I would do if I could get em done similar to the paw for the same cost. But a little guy likely cant do this without losing his shirt. If I were to deburr/glass bead and ship em off for rebuild,what would it cost?

Then that 148 for a worked set I posted is good. I might jump on um just to have some around.

Not sure why you say Eagles had issues. I've heard of no such thing. They usually do need tweaking, but I'd have no issues running them, the K1, Scat, 440Source... They are all about the same part, and the Scats and K1 seem to be best OOTB. Source are the worst finish quality.

I have seen a few eagle failures is all. Im sure any rod can fail of course.
Come to think of it,the failures were several years ago.
So Im biased!

One guy likes comp, another likes lunati etc etc..

There is a member here who is an engine builder,lives about 3 1/2 hours away and has built several winning engines . He does have a more professional engine builders shop in Calgary and for now is semi retired and working out of a shop here in B.C. His advise was yes I can do the LY's up but for $*** comparison,he could offer new eagles for a very good price. A tempting price..

-
Back