Lets talk lifters

-

Arco440

Reaction score
Does anyone run Rhoads lifters? If so do you like them ? Reason i ask is i have run them in the same motor for just over 15 years now.when i dyno ed my car some 10 years ago i was very surprised at how my power increase jumped up after 3200 rpm. they do allow my car to run really nice idle with predicable power curve. I have lost my cam card and don't remember how much lift but i know it was 302 duration and i think i was in the range of 500 lift (might be Wrong) like i said lost card to cam.either way i made 473 torque at 3700 rpm and 518 hp at the wheels at 5400 rpm.funny thing it made more power with Edlebrock Torker 440 manifold than it did with the Mp m1 manifold.but M1 made more torque about 300 rpm sooner but only 6 more torque and i had flatter hp top end.
So i ask all thing being equal has anyone run the Rhoads lifter and what did you think as i am getting ready to build a 440 with close to same specs as current motor.I have a excellent engine builder named Lorenzo he worked for Frank Bash as his top engine builder Frank is no longer alive but Lorenzo is now on his own and when i mentioned Rhoads lifter he kinda gets a scornful look but never says there bad.He would just rather me go with regular lifters to match my cam i pick.Any in put would be nice thanks in advance.:prayer:

I have used them quite a bit thru the years and have had very desirable results from them. They really broaden the power curve.

Almost every single engine from OEM has some sort of variable cam timing for a reason, and the Rhoad lifters give you that. I say use them and be happy

I have run Rhodes lifters before and will again. The scornful look from the builder is more so due to the idea of building the engine without them first to achieve the desired results. Not plan a build with them. In which I agree.

In the past, I have experimented with them on just the intake side. Just to see what happens and how it felt. A False split cam if you will. It worked in my particular combo once, was a failure in another. (Desired results.)

I have also noticed what you mentioned, at or around 3000 RPM's the power turns up a bit. In the Failed combo, it was like a step up in power and then again when the cam normally came in. Above 3000 RPM. I do believe there web site mentions this event. Lifters pump up at 3000 rpm or so.

About 15 years ago or so we built a 383 chevy motor :violent1:. We used the rhoads lifters in. The thing made great torque and OK hp. we felt it was a little soft up top and switched out the lifters to a good quality lifter. Difference of 20ftlb but lost 16hp on the top end with the rhoads lifters. This is the only case that I have used them, and I dont know if it normal or not. Seems like the same performance could have been made using a step smaller cam.

You have to work with the peload a bit on them. Once you find the "happy" spot they work great.

Hey rumblefish i did ask my engine builder about the build useing a regular hyd lifter and than switching them out for rhoads,His reply was short build what you want and live with it.he feels they are just a gimmick but he also said in the same breath they work he just prefers to run balls out why hide what you got . I feel differently as im happy with them in my car.Thank for all the great in put you guy rock.

...........My buddy has a 440 with the super lube original Rhodes lifters........seem to work pretty dam good.........kim.........

Put together a 396 Chevy years ago.Comp was 10 to1.Summitt cam(238/[email protected]).Fouled plugs in two days ,3 inches of vac.My boss grabbed my ear,we stuffed a set of Rhodes,bumped initial to 14(38 @3000),and installed a msd.Vacuum went to 12,nice combo.I have used them several times since.

They work, but they do not give you the full effect of the cam... So if you use them like most did so they could have a huge cam that would hurt low end idle and vacuum, but make it work ok, but that cam won't work the same as the motor without them. (like the post above)
Something interesting on this is have you ever run solid rollers on a hyd roller cam... the solid roller makes the motor come alive...

Id lose the rhoads idea and get a roller, the perf you will gain from a roller over a flat are HUGE not to mention break in issue is all gone

Now, here is a kicker fot you Rhoads does bleed down hydraulic rollers,how bout that?

I have used them in a Pontiac and a big block Chevy and they worked great. The engine builder I had back then told me that thay were crap and not to use them but I ignored him. The Pontiac I put them in was because I had the wrong cam and it was a dog and the Rhodes pumped up the crappy bottom end but the Chevy I did I started with a Comp 280 Magnum with regular lifters and it had tons of low and mid but nothing over 5000, then I switched to a split solid flat with aroung 245 degreed @.050 and .600 lift and it made better top end up to about 6000. I then went with a Comp 305 Magnum with Rhodes lifters and it was an animal compared to the other cams. Awsome power from 1500 to about 6200. I'm putting together a 440 to go in my Duster now and I'm going with a 305 Magnum and the Rhodes V-Max lifters which bleed of a whopping 20 degrees of duration and then restore full duration and lift by about 4000. Rollers are great but if your like me, cost is an issue and as long as nothing goes wrong at break in and I use the zinc additive I'll never have to worry about fragging a roller and all the possible carnage that comes with it. I give the Rhodes a big thumbs up and I say ignore the nay sayers and use them.

-
Back