Lets talk radiators/shrouds

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
Last summer my gtx was running a little warmer than i was comfortable with on hot days and traffic. Had a no clutch 18" (poly?) fan no shroud. I got an 18" metal clutch fan and was going to put a shroud on it. Looking at summit they have 2 bb fan shrouds, one with a 16" fan opening and one with an 18" fan opening. the 18" is over $100. Columbiana chrysler jeep dodge motor sports has one on ebag for $94. shipped but i can't get them to answer my email asking the fan hole size.

So i'm thinking screw it if i have to spend $125 on a shroud maybe i'll just replace my stock 26" radiator with an aluminum one. Summit has universal 2 row $130. Allstar 2 row $175. Champion ec375 2 row good for 400hp @ $170 is out of stock according to their website. (car is estimated 450-475hp) American Eagle 2 row $178. shipped. The summit and allstar are crossflow, Champ and AE have top/bottom tanks.

So here's the questions (finally huh) What would you do, what brand do you use, how has it worked. I don't have the cash to spend any more than the prices of what i have listed. Thanks for the opinions/input. :???:

What stat do you run? Personally if it isn't running too hot I would try a shroud first, that will make a difference.

180* stat, and i checked it. I've seen 220* and stopped to let it cool. system has been flushed, coolant new.

If it's overheating in traffic it is more than likely, airflow.

A better fan or fan and shroud combo will have a greater chance of fixing the problem.

Tossing a bigger radiator at it may or may not do anything at all (as proven by the hundreds of threads on cooling issues).

It would be the same size radiator, just a new aluminum one. They say they are supposed to cool better than stock.

In your area,U would find a Mr Gasket 180 full flow stat.Please,junkyard hunt.Find a shroud.JMHO

Get the stock fan shroud that goes with your GTX. Someone broke or took it off the original that was designed to keep your car cool at low driving speeds. Then add the MP viscous fan clutch and fan package.

If your brass radiator is not clogged or leaking, keep it.

What year GTX is it? I assume with 440 motor? What is the part number stamped on top of your radiator? Don't assume it is the orginal one or even right one for your car. Many times people will put C-body radiators in B-bodys. Sometimes the move the neck to the correct place, sometimes not.

With that info, someone here can tell you the part number of the new shrould and fan size that was original to your car. That should do it.

The inexpensive aftermarket ones will not fit as good, leave bigger gaps between your radiator and core support, and not have as an effective and tight fitting shroud out of the box. You'll have to tweak, modify, add foam, etc to get as tight fitting setup as stock.

Thanks... I have already picked up a hi flow t stat and tested it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's not original rad. yes 440 not original. radiator #'s 2998 9 65 and under that 59538. Brass rad seems to be in good shape no leaks.

-
Back