Lexan windows

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just read the nhra rulebook section about windshield and it says thickness is .125
Also it states, must be clear or factory tinted.
Does clear mean "transparent" only or clear as in no added tinting ?
Thanks

I just read the nhra rulebook section about windshield and it says thickness is .125
Also it states, must be clear or factory tinted.
Does clear mean "transparent" only or clear as in no added tinting ?
Thanks
The only factory tinting of a windshield would be what is called sun shade. That is the tinted band at the top of the glass.
I am not aware of Lexan with the "sun shield"

The only factory tinting of a windshield would be what is called sun shade. That is the tinted band at the top of the glass.
I am not aware of Lexan with the "sun shield"
I would like to add some tinting and definitely tint the side windows to get some relief from the dessert sun.

I would like to add some tinting and definitely tint the side windows to get some relief from the dessert sun.
I believe tinting of the windshield is not an option. Other windows are okay to a legal percent. I cant tell you what that is in your state or according to NHRA rules.

I believe tinting of the windshield is not an option. Other windows are okay to a legal percent. I cant tell you what that is in your state or according to NHRA rules.
Okay thanks, I'll ask my chassis cert guy when he's here on Sunday and see what he says.

I can understand tinting to keep the car cooler, but I have always wondered wouldn't it make it more difficult to see your opponent especially when racing at night ? and if the other car is painted a dark color ? I saw a guy thrown out of the NED Bracket finals for tinted windows or that was the reason they gave it might have been because he " mouthed " off to a NHRA official and that was the reason they gave. imo he deserved it .

I can understand tinting to keep the car cooler, but I have always wondered wouldn't it make it more difficult to see your opponent especially when racing at night ? and if the other car is painted a dark color ? I saw a guy thrown out of the NED Bracket finals for tinted windows or that was the reason they gave it might have been because he " mouthed " off to a NHRA official and that was the reason they gave. imo he deserved it .
Okay that makes sense & that is a great reminder about night driving with tinted windows. I hate it.
Also I plan on running a few different tracks and if a tech guy is by the book I would have waste a lot of money I don't have

Tinted side windows at the track are kind of a “let’s not talk about it type of thing”. Rules say no but I’ve seen some so dark you can’t see what the driver is doing.

Tinted side windows at the track are kind of a “let’s not talk about it type of thing”. Rules say no but I’ve seen some so dark you can’t see what the driver is doing.
Yeah I know I've seen some really dark too.

I have Lexan fixed door windows on my Demon, I prefer to keep them clear to see what all is going on around me. In most cases, tinting reflects images and/or shadows.

It’s a race car, when you race it you’ll be in a fire suit, helmet, gloves, socks, shoes, AND you’ll be miserably hot. Wether you have the windows tinted or not.

It’s a race car, when you race it you’ll be in a fire suit, helmet, gloves, socks, shoes, AND you’ll be miserably hot. Wether you have the windows tinted or not.
You're right about that, I guess I won't worry about tinting, air conditioning now that's a good idea

I have Lexan fixed door windows on my Demon, I prefer to keep them clear to see what all is going on around me. In most cases, tinting reflects images and/or shadows.
Okay, thank you I didn't think about that.

I’m not sure what ET you are setting up for or if you are getting single or three layer pants and jackets but when I update I’m going to look into this newer lightweight three layer stuff.

I’m not sure what ET you are setting up for or if you are getting single or three layer pants and jackets but when I update I’m going to look into this newer lightweight three layer stuff.
I'll just have to see what it runs. Maybe 12.50s maybe 10.50s, I guess I'll know a bit more when I get a weight of the car.
You could always smear yourself with Bengay ointment and hope for the cold part when you're going down the track lol

I guess lexan might be a few hundreds quicker than having regular glass maybe, but darn, that is the very last choice to lighten a car I would ever make. Just a lot of negatives vs stock glass.

I guess lexan might be a few hundreds quicker than having regular glass maybe, but darn, that is the very last choice to lighten a car I would ever make. Just a lot of negatives vs stock glass.
No negative for me, I don't have to buy a new windshield and all of the rubbers .

No negative for me, I don't have to buy a new windshield and all of the rubbers .

Did you ever notice that the guys that complain about their cars being heavy are the ones that won’t do anything to lighten them. If I had a beautiful car like Dons I wouldn’t cut it or put lexan in It either but you can’t have both. Signed never had a show car, never will. Hand me the torch please.

Did you ever notice that the guys that complain about their cars being heavy are the ones that won’t do anything to lighten them. If I had a beautiful car like Dons I wouldn’t cut it or put lexan in It either but you can’t have both. Signed never had a show car, never will. Hand me the torch please.

HAHA..
Actually figuring on getting 50 pounds out of it this offseason.
Buying Lingenfelter front bumper brackets for stock bumper(10.3 pounds) and losing 40 pounds myself. So far I have lost 22 of it. Pretty darn happy with myself. 18 more to go. Wife holds the keys until I reach my goal, nothing else has ever worked..this has.
Hoping to be close by May 1st, if not racing is gonna start a little late for me until I get there.

HAHA..
Actually figuring on getting 50 pounds out of it this offseason.
Buying Lingenfelter front bumper brackets for stock bumper(10.3 pounds) and losing 40 pounds myself. So far I have lost 22 of it. Pretty darn happy with myself. 18 more to go. Wife holds the keys until I reach my goal, nothing else has ever worked..this has.
Hoping to be close by May 1st, if not racing is gonna start a little late for me until I get there.

Great job on the weight loss

And that was even with a nice little winter vacation trip.

I actually got off my butt down there, swam and walked a lot.
If I hadn’t went to lights out 2 weeks ago( gained 3 pounds) I would be closer.
White Castle on the way down and back got me..drank pop too..not good.
Fell off the wagon 4 days :BangHead: :BangHead::BangHead:

It's just removing parts though really it's not changing permanently or damaging the car.
I plan on having a very nice looking race car but it's just a slant 6 70 dart when it comes down to it and that's exactly why I agree, hand me the torch please.
Dons car is awesome too and if it were mine it would get a/c and be a show car.

SO, One thing you'll hear from regular bracket guys is the lexan will fog so that is a negative IMO. Also, depending on the thickness and speed you'll have to brace the center. After all was said and done on mine there may have been 10 pounds saved. But it took a lot of work, because the placement of the tabs to flush mount with the body. I'd prob use the thicker lexan and mount it in a factory gasket for time. You could even run a back brace from the windshield bar to the area near where a rear-view mirror would be. If done wrong/quickly it looks so bad.

I'll just have to see what it runs. Maybe 12.50s maybe 10.50s, I guess I'll know a bit more when I get a weight of the car.
You could always smear yourself with Bengay ointment and hope for the cold part when you're going down the track lol
If yours doesn’t run at least mid 10s, Houston you have a problem. Kim

-
Back