Liberty 833 convert to street use?

-

nates68

Reaction score
I picked up this trans a while ago and plan on rebuilding it for street. It's a Liberty crash box but thats all I know about it. What are the differences besides synchros being different? I'm a :newb: at this.

Thanks
Nates68

Attachments

• DSC06695.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 583
Not sure how easy that ould be to convert back? I think Liberty welds there on slider parts to the gears? if so, I dont think you could even put syncros back in it at all.. It would be just like having a transmission with ALL the syncos bad, if you try to drive it on the street. It could be used, but you probally wont like it. It is typically a drag race only deal..

I believe you'd have to change the outer slider collars (the part that the fork rides on) and ALL the gears which take a syncro ring, so the input shaft, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

MAKE SURE the gears are compatible with the cluster. Not only ratio, but helix. I have no idea what liberty uses, they may not be a standard helix angle. So you may be looking at a new cluster, too.

Or, just learn to double clutch.

Driving a model A:

I don't know what all the crap on the shifter is, he must have a two speed rear

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlf09huxvHI"]Double Clutch Ur Model A.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

you have no syncro's in that trans. you'll need a new set of gears if you wanna put it back to stock. you could drive it "as is" on the street for a while but there're a bit of a pain. looking at your's its got alot of use on the proshift rings, that'll probably need a freshen pretty soon also if you want it to stay in gear. you could have it faceplated, there a little more street friendly. or sell it..

What are the differences besides synchros being different

There are none-that trans has no synchros , you cannot down shift it.
1-Slick Shift- Remove every other synchro tooth off the gear itself of second, third and fourth.Discard the brass synchro rings, engagement keys ,and wire spring rings, and remove every other internal spline on the "slider" (slider hub that the fork engages into). First gear synchro teeth on the gear are left alone yet no longer allow synchronization with the brass synchro discarded. 36 engagement teeth and internal splines become 18. Do Not try to remove two keep one, remove two, keep one etc. This will create an impossible mesh pattern.Yes this is race only.

Well if the above is true, at least you would not have to replace 1st gear

OK now I understand a bit more about the trans. Looks like I will likely sell or trade it for a street 833. PM me.
I do have some interest already in the trans btw. I will get some better pics of it.

Thanks
Nates68

Heres a few pics:

Attachments

• IMG_4676.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_4678.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_4680.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 412
-
Back