Lifter bore bad casting ?

-

alex perini

Reaction score
Looking at my 440 motor and noticed. Casting around lifter looks like it chipped away has anyone seen this also is ok ?

Screenshot_20180416-140246_Gallery.jpg

Any pieces laying around in there. Could be a machine shop got a little rough with it

As long as it doesn't interfere with the lifter it should be ok...

That my friend is a casting flaw. I have seen plenty like that and worse. I have seen one where the right side rear bore aside of the distributor was mostly gone. We had to spray weld it and bush the bores. It was an X block. You can just barely see the weld and the heat mark where it was done. Yours is not a problem at all. I'll bet that block you have is a high casting number. They always are. This one was a 318-11

block13.JPG

block2.JPG

block5.JPG

block1.JPG

That my friend is a casting flaw. I have seen plenty like that and worse. I have seen one where the right side rear bore aside of the distributor was mostly gone. We had to spray weld it and bush the bores. It was an X block. You can just barely see the weld and the heat mark where it was done. Yours is not a problem at all. I'll bet that block you have is a high casting number. They always are. This one was a 318-11

View attachment 1715166050

View attachment 1715166051

View attachment 1715166052

View attachment 1715166053
I guess I`ve been lucky, I have never had a Chrysler block (r/b or hemi), that took even any extra amount of machining, much less any casting flaws. The chevy small blocks always required an extreme amount to bring in line with what they were supposed to be. The 440 block I`m using in my 505, needed .003 to square the deck and make the deck heighth perfect. m?????????????

O

View attachment 1715166050

View attachment 1715166051

View attachment 1715166052

View attachment 1715166053
Ok awesome thanks for the info

-
Back