lifter noise

-

71dustar

Reaction score
i took my car up to about 70mph last night to see how my new cooling system would hold up at highway speeds. after i cruised at 70 for about 2 miles i slowed down and turned onto a street about 45mph. few miles down the road i heard a ticking sound. i pulled over and sounded like a lifter so i drove it to my shop about 2 miles away. left it there over night and this morning when i started it, the ticking was still there but went after a few minutes.

I emails comp cams about the lifters (hyd. flat tapet) and they said that they will be noisy for a few oil changes. there is about 250 miles on the engine and im curious as to if this is normal and if it isn't whats the best way to go about figuring out the problem.

I was thinking about pulling valve covers and checking valve lash to see if there is any slop from when i built the engine.

And you're certain it's not a tiny exhaust leak?
Agree with that. Then take valve covers off, and feel what rocker is loose, and how much. If just a tad loose, check for wear. If it looks like the others, with engine running; smack the rocker @ pushrod end with a small hammer.
That partially collapsed the lifter, forcing a piece of crap out of it, hopefully. old school, 1960's
I will catch flack about that statement, but seen it work.(engine will run rough for about 20 seconds).

Im down with the old school remedies, thats a new one. Buddy took a hammer to a carb to stop it flooding and took the same hammer to a starter that wouldnt kick, doggone if he didnt use the same hammer to hit his battery terminal when the car didnt start. fixed it every time...I was waiting for him to try and fix the wipers!

Im down with the old school remedies, thats a new one. Buddy took a hammer to a carb to stop it flooding and took the same hammer to a starter that wouldnt kick, doggone if he didnt use the same hammer to hit his battery terminal when the car didnt start. fixed it every time...I was waiting for him to try and fix the wipers!

bwwwaaaaaahhaa ahaha ahahahaha hahahahah ahahaha ha ah haha aha

huh...lol

I'll check for exhaust leak. if it is a lifter and i have to replace it, is there a break in procedure?

I have heard that running a quart of tranny fluid as a detergent can help flush out the gobblins in a lifter. Another old school trick.

well i checked exhaust leak and that wasn't it so i pulled the valve covers. One rocker was completely lose but it wasnt the nut and set screw that came lose. it was the shaft for the rocker arm. the set screw and nut are still tight holding the rocker to the shaft. #6 intake rocker.

Since i've only done a rocker arm adjustment once and that was with my engine builder when we assembled the motor i want to make sure i'm doing it right when i go to tighten the rocker shaft. I have the sequence of which valve to adjust starting at #1 tdc then rotating crank 90 degrees.

Now i know that zero preload is when i start to feel tension but then how much more do i preload? 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, 1 turn, etc. I have the eddy rpm heads with hughes 1.6 rockers.

-
Back