lifter oil hole position question

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I'm putting my engine back together, and forgot if the lifter oil holes go inboard or outboard (towards cylinders or valley). I have "How to rebuild the Smallblock Mopar" book, but it covers a magnum rebuild (despite the title leading one to believe it would cover them all), which says they go inboard. Looking in the lifter bores, it doesn't make sense that they would go inboard because no oil would be able to get through. Inboard or outboard?

I'm putting my engine back together, and forgot if the lifter oil holes go inboard or outboard (towards cylinders or valley). I have "How to rebuild the Smallblock Mopar" book, but it covers a magnum rebuild (despite the title leading one to believe it would cover them all), which says they go inboard. Looking in the lifter bores, it doesn't make sense that they would go inboard because no oil would be able to get through. Inboard or outboard?

You are talking about the rocker shafts right?

That's what I think, he's talking about the oil shafts.

Lifters with the hole in the lifter body?

Doesn't matter. The entire bore gets flooded under pressure. The lifter rotates around in the bore. This is there design so the cam or lifter doesn't get wiped out in a groove it would create.

The cam lobe is ground at a angle in order to rotate the lifter.

Doesn't matter. The entire bore gets flooded under pressure. The lifter rotates around in the bore. This is there design so the cam or lifter doesn't get wiped out in a groove it would create.

I was going to say the same thing unless this is a roller lifter engine.

Terry

Yep, but it does matter how you install the rocker shafts.

I'm putting them on the same way they came out, but one of them doesn't look so good. I'm just running this engine until I get my stroker built. As soon as I can find a block, I can get rolling on that.

I concur 100 percent. Very well said. You beat me to it.

-
Back