lifter on slant six came out

-

63TOAD

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was trying to retrieve a washer on #1 intake on a slant six with drool tubes with a magnet.
Much to my suprise the lifter came out too. I had loosened the rocker arm and removed
the push rod to find the washer. Question is how do I get the lifter back in short of
pulling the head. I'm probably the only one dumb enough to do something like this.
Any tricks to doing this? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Use magnet to lower back in then use pushrod to push off magnet. Your lucky ( unlucky ?) The lifter came out, they usually have a ring of crust on them that prevents them lifting out of the bore. You have plenty of room

I have tried the magnet-push rod method without any luck. Anybody had any luck with a lifter removal tool? Summit has 3 different ones.

Put tape on the end of the magnet thick enough so it is easier to dislodge the lifter.

Problem solved. A friend came up with a homemade tool. He took an end of a coil wire (thebootpart) and put the lifter in the big end and used a grabber tool on the inside of the small diameter and was able to fish the lifter in place and held the lifter with a long screwdriver and removed the boot. Pretty slick! I hope this helps someone in the future.

-
Back