Lifter supply worries over for me?

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
I have to get out to the shop more often.

Like you I have been concerned about the supply chain and parts for my engines.

While I was getting a few misc measurements before I call T&D about 8 higher lift rockers I found a box of 15 new Comp/Hylift Johnson lifters on the shelf. I think #16 is in my desk.

I also have 14 used Johnsons from my formerly blowed up race motor that can be refaced.

I also have two new cams and one used stock core for a regrind.

All set for springs, locks and retainers, too along with new Manley valves, PAC and Howards springs.

Got my crank repaired, new King coated bearings and Crower rods in the box.

Glad I went shopping in 2019!!!!

Bur now I have this new 340 to build as a backup...yikes! This one may get Brodix heads, an offset ground crank, Pankl rods and a few more bits. Might have to keep working until I'm 75...

Last edited:
Don't Stop! Keep on! Yeah. This is crazy. Glad you found some parts to keep moving! That's whT happens when they take Manufacturing overseas. Other than the Greatest Generation, and the Stand Up attitude Of Old School Americans ( and let's not forget Rosie the Riveter) we had the Capacity to Produce MORE STEEL, FASTER. and it was Good Quality STEEL ...I hope you are able to get your Mopar Engine parts as fast as you need them, so you can keep Mopar'in!

I had a brand new set of Hydraulics that had less than 200 miles on them and they would bleed down and tick until they prime up again.

I pulled them and checked them out and they were beginning to rust like crazy on the inside!!!

When I called Lunati and explained that I have never had this happen before with lifters, I was told by them that the EPA now makes them test their lifters with Mineral Oil and not motor oil like they used to do. Once they have been tested they wash them and put them in the box.

He told me that when you get a new set of lifters, that they recommend you tear them apart, clean them and soak them in oil before installing them.

I said, soaking in oil is common before an install but never got the memo about the tearing apart and cleaning before hand!!!

He said we have the EPA to thank for the rust and corrosion due to the new testing process!!!

Glad you had some! I should have started sooner getting lifters. My machinist called to order me a set of Morel hydraulic rollers for my 273, and they are back ordered until late fall. :rolleyes: :realcrazy:

I had a brand new set of Hydraulics that had less than 200 miles on them and they would bleed down and tick until they prime up again.

I pulled them and checked them out and they were beginning to rust like crazy on the inside!!!

When I called Lunati and explained that I have never had this happen before with lifters, I was told by them that the EPA now makes them test their lifters with Mineral Oil and not motor oil like they used to do. Once they have been tested they wash them and put them in the box.

He told me that when you get a new set of lifters, that they recommend you tear them apart, clean them and soak them in oil before installing them.

I said, soaking in oil is common before an install but never got the memo about the tearing apart and cleaning before hand!!!

He said we have the EPA to thank for the rust and corrosion due to the new testing process!!!
You would think that an experienced company like Lunati would have a bright orange warning label inside the box telling you that you should disassemble and lube before use. I mean, come on...........do they actually want customers to be unhappy!!!!!!!

Last edited:
There are a lot of older 318s in scrap yards out there. I think if I was really nervous about it, I would go hunting and gather 2-3 engines worth of lifters, sort through them, ultrasonic clean them, and then have the faces reground.

In August I was playing around with the dart, and my stock style fuel pump quit. I called a Napa who I thought ight have one, and they said the store one town over has one. I didn't feel like running out and I thought " I have one in my parts stash" i went into the loft, moved a box or two dumped one out on the floor and there it was. I haven't seen it in over 10 years but remembered I had it and where it was...its funny how that works.

Crane Cams has some flat tappets called cam saver lifters. Ditto for Howard's Cams. I dunno how good they are. I mean I have a melling camshaft and new melling lifters. Now I'm kinda gunshy about putting this all together. Never felt this way in the past about assembling an engine before.

What is the problem with todays lifters has anyone taken them apart and figured it out? Knowing overseas mfg. it is clearances but i am guessing.

Yeah that too. I figure the powers that be don't want us driving old iron, but they will rip us off on parts during these final days...to survive the mad max world we will have to rethink using "used parts"...:)

I have a set of older unused lifters new in the box for my future 408 build. I dont want to use em on the 318 build. Supposedly the cam saver lifters are made with a .001"-.002" looser clearance to help keep oil on the lobes. Supposedly your oil pressure runs maybe 2 lbs lower with those. Backorder till mid November thru summit.

Yeah that too. I figure the powers that be don't want us driving old iron, but they will rip us off on parts during these final days...to survive the mad max world we will have to rethink using "used parts"...:)
My self and a friend were thinking the same. And yes, we ARE being fleeced, and given junk in return

I have a set of older unused lifters new in the box for my future 408 build. I dont want to use em on the 318 build. Supposedly the cam saver lifters are made with a .001"-.002" looser clearance to help keep oil on the lobes. Supposedly your oil pressure runs maybe 2 lbs lower with those. Backorder till mid November thru summit.
Most have an EDM hole in the face to supply extra oil to the lobe.

You can also use a small dremel and cut a verticle groove in the lifter side which will allow extra oil to the cam. Some use an ISKY tool that cuts a groove in the block to oil the lifters.

I have a set of OLDS lifters (new) that I have had soaking in transmission oil for 10 years... under a pile of crap on my welding bench.

Found them a while back, opened the cottage cheese container they were in and the bodies have RUST on them. WTF?

I went thru this on my 340 when I learned assembly error by previous owners trashed the current lifter… I mean I guess I could have rebuilt and reused them, but I was in that far so did a ton of research. Ended up with Crower Cam Saver hydraulic flat tapped lifters, and can not tell any difference in oil pressure from what I took out. Only have 25 minutes of run time on the lifters so far so can not speak to longevity yet but they seemed to be of good quality out of the box and during install I made sure to lube them good and verify their ability to move within the bores freely before moving to the next step.

I went thru this on my 340 when I learned assembly error by previous owners trashed the current lifter… I mean I guess I could have rebuilt and reused them, but I was in that far so did a ton of research. Ended up with Crower Cam Saver hydraulic flat tapped lifters, and can not tell any difference in oil pressure from what I took out. Only have 25 minutes of run time on the lifters so far so can not speak to longevity yet but they seemed to be of good quality out of the box and during install I made sure to lube them good and verify their ability to move within the bores freely before moving to the next step.
Those Crowers are made by Hylift Johnson...

Those Crowers are made by Hylift Johnson...
Thanks for the info. I know nothing about the lineage of whose lifters are whose. All I know is finding good lifters these days is not easy and there is a lot of horror stories of failed lifters. So these were the lifters I went with after much research and finding nothing bad mentioned about them.

Wvbuzzmaster ya got a PN# on those Crowers ?

-
Back