Lifters bleeding down

-

cmills

Reaction score
Any ideas why my lifters bleed down so quickly? If I go into a store and come back out and go to start I get the clackety-clack of lifters pumping. Any ideas? It's a 340 with a stock rebuild.

Right now 20/50 with 1 quart Marvel Mystery Oil.

Right now 20/50 with 1 quart Marvel Mystery Oil.

Why the Mystery Oil, either way change your oil and just go with the 20/50 and if problem persists you're looking at a new set of lifters as they should not bleed down that fast. Over night sure but not within an hour or 2 unless of course you're running big assed double springs.

Preload?

Not sure who Comp buys their lifters from, but about 5 years ago I got a set of real craptastic lifters with a Comp cam. Replaced with OEM style NAPA (Speed-Pro) and problem was solved.

Yes the lifters I used are from Speed Pro. Keep the ideas comin'.

Marvel Mystery oil is not made to run permanently. It is intended to be a cleaner for the crankcase and lifters. You are NOT running 20/50. with the Marvel's you have diluted your oil to an unknoen weight. This is why I never recommend oil additives. Dump the oil and filter and put some new in with NO additives.

Folks have been using mystery oil to quieten lifters for years. Transmission fluid will do the same thing. If the noise wont go away, valve springs are the problem.

the oil does say you can add it to oil and for old dirty engines it can help clean the lifters. You can add too much, not certain its your problem but you can try it. 20w-50 is getting thick but not as much as straight 30 weight. Many used 30 straight weight oil long ago (1960's early 70's) and added M.M. oil in the winter to thin the oil out..Others change to 20 weight, even 10 weight oil for winters. M.M. was used much more in the past. If 30 weight was on sale and it was still winter, you add a quart of M.M. oil and 4 quarts of 30 weight oil. If the oil still seem too thick you added a little more of M.M. oil

With 10w-30 there isn't a need now. Muti weight oils are a "new" thing

-
Back