Lifters?

-

72_Durstya

Reaction score
I would like to get you opinions on this subject, what are the best lifters Solid, Hydraulic etc.... and if one is better thean the other depending on your build. I think my dad is going to push me on getting Solids because thats what he had in his 70 Duster at my age but I'd like to research this.

I would like to have a 340 with 425 hp - 450 hp, street/strip car.

thanx for any help!

Solid lifter for me, they have the luxury of a more aggressive ramp on the cam lobe by design & have a positive effect on the valve motion

Anything that says "Schubeck" on the box, solids, Hydraulics, Roller X.

Haven't built a steel lifter motor in years

ya, but not everyone gets dill pickle discount on Schubeck lifters like you do - LOL. 10.83, my congrats.

Hydralics have a more aggressive ramp that solids but suffer from lifter pump up at high RPM. They reason they have more aggressive ramps is that they do not have to have the gentle initial ramp designed to take up the clearance (valve lash) that is in a solid setup.

You can get 425hp out of a 340 with an agressive hydralic and still have the maintainance free design.

Excuse my being naive, but what is the deal with Schubeck lifters? I have not heard of them, but I would consider them on my build if they are superior to the solid Comp lifters that I bought with the cam I am installing. With the problems I have heard people having with flat tappets quality these days, I want to install the lifters, break it in and not worry about the cam. Expensive?

schubeck lifters don't wear out. normal solid lifters wear down, that's why after a bit you have to relash solid cams. my opinion is to think if you want to check/adjust valves alot or not. solid cams have great throttle response.

i am runing a solid roller setup from compcams, works great have not had a reason to do more than check my valv lash in two years;)

Schubeck lifters have a proprietory ceramic type surface that doesnot require a breakin/wearin period like most other lifters (hydraulic or solid) and unlike other types of lifters can be used over and over should you choose to change cams - they will never wear out. They are fairly expensive - but if you loose 1 cam and a set of lifters, then they are not so expensive afterall.

I believe they are available through www.4secondsflat.com . log on to his web site and they are listed as one of FBOs line of products.

Solids for me, Johnson brand name. You can get them on Ebay for cheap but they are not a cheap lifter at all. Advertised on other web sites as "lightweight" solid lifters. Famous engine builder uses these exclusively. I bought mine in a set of 12 and asked for 4 more at per piece cost. No problems so far.

-
Back