Lifters

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of these? on E-bay

RHOADS SUPERLUBE V MAX HYDRAULIC LIFTERS AMC/MOPAR V8

They work, but be warned: all Rhoads lifters make a lot of noise (ticking) at low speeds.

They work, but be warned: all Rhoads lifters make a lot of noise (ticking) at low speeds.

You think its the lifters or the preload? slack the lifter needs to work? MT Thanks:burnout:

In other words, is the noise destructive. MT

You think its the lifters or the preload? slack the lifter needs to work? MT Thanks:burnout:

They have a bleed off groove cut in the lifter valve to lessen the lift amount and timing at low RPM's so in turn this makes them not pump up fully and that makes them noisy.

They have a bleed off groove cut in the lifter valve to lessen the lift amount and timing at low RPM's so in turn this makes them not pump up fully and that makes them noisy.

I see, makes sense. Thanks. MT

Wrong......they do not all make noise. I have Rhoads lifters in my 340 and you can hardly hear them, infact they are so quiet you can't even tell they are in there. I know another a couple other guys with them, one has a 340 and his are quiet, the other is a 440 but those were a little noisy. I like mine and would run them again. :glasses7:

They are a gimmick, if you want to lose lift and duration right across the rev range then go ahead and use them. Remember they are bleeding down on both the opening and closing ramp.

Those particular lifters are adjustable. They adjust with a feeler gauge like a solid and REQUIRE an adjustable valve train.

They also have a groove cut down the side so they are direct oiling to the cam lobes.

If you want a lifter that is direct oiling but not have the Rhoads effect, Crower makes some.

They are a gimmick, if you want to lose lift and duration right across the rev range then go ahead and use them. Remember they are bleeding down on both the opening and closing ramp.

But isn't this what VVT is doing on modern cars? Just doing is differently. Im looking at those Crower lifters, RRR. Might get those. MT

What engine? What cam are you running? What rockers and are they adjustable? In a higher aggressive lift camshaft the lifters tend to make more noise, I have an Isky .505 in my car and the lifters are quiet all the time, I have adjustable rockers too.

But isn't this what VVT is doing on modern cars? Just doing is differently. Im looking at those Crower lifters, RRR. Might get those. MT

IMO VVT yes.
The super lube lifter is adjustable and decreases lift and duration below 3500 RPM. Above the lifter is full and lift and duration increase. They are a High Quality lifter and if applied correctly can improve performance.
I've built 2 SBM engines with them and they improve bottom end torque.
You can run a bigger cam and tame it down at idle; you can also use them to help keep the dynamic comp ratio up on a low comp motor. Above 3k thhe port velocity is good and the motor pulls.
66 Dart low comp 8.5:1, 318 268H cam, milled home ported 360 smog heads, 3.55 gear, shorty headers, air gap, 13.4 1/4 mile.

Are you changing lobe duration with VVT?

Those particular lifters are adjustable. They adjust with a feeler gauge like a solid and REQUIRE an adjustable valve train.

They also have a groove cut down the side so they are direct oiling to the cam lobes.

If you want a lifter that is direct oiling but not have the Rhoads effect, Crower makes some.

On my 340 I installed Comp Cams adjustable rockers and the correct length pushrods, and adjusted the Rhoads lifters per their instructions. They have always been quite noisy. So much so that I took almost everything apart a few years ago and re-checked and re-adjusted them two more times. They are noisy. The car runs great, otherwise.

It depends on how you adjust the VMax lifters. The more you adjust them to remove duration, the louder they are. You can throw them in and use them as a regular hydraulic lifter without adjusting them at all and they will not make noise. Although I don't know why anyone would do that. lol

VVT is a broad term and numerous manufacturers go about it in different ways.
Cam phasing; moves valve timing events.
Cam changing; changes lift and duration.
Rocker arm locking, etc, the list goes on.

Can you use a Rhoads lifter with adjustable rockers to change valve timing events of a camshaft below 3500 RPM? Yes.

Is it as efficient as a modern ECU controlled engine? No.

VVT is mostly cam phasing, and that's not what your Rhoads lifter is doing. Tell me how much VVT is your Rhoads lifter doing at 2800 rpm and what makes you think is still not changing valve events at 5500rpm?

VVT is mostly cam phasing, and that's not what your Rhoads lifter is doing. Tell me how much VVT is your Rhoads lifter doing at 2800 rpm and what makes you think is still not changing valve events at 5500rpm?

That's how the Rhoads lifters are designed. The lift is restored by the 3500-4000 RPM mark.

That said, ALL hydraulic lifters vary valve timing, since they are just that. Hydraulic. They don't vary it as much as a Rhoads hydraulic lifter, but there is variation. There is no way to keep that from happening since they are designed with a moveable plunger. The only way to take that built in feature away is to run a solid lifter.

i ran a set in my 69 dart and they were noisy....i think if there not noisy they're not doing what they were designed to do....i'm all solid now!eff a hyd cam

I've been using the Rhoades standard variable duration lifters for many years and have been very happy with them... I ve run some over 200, 000 miles with no problem.

I don't notice any more ticking noise than others... If that is a nuisance, double up the hood insulation pad and tell everyone that it's an old solid lifter 273...

They give you more low end torque and horsepower, smoother idle, and better fuel economy...

I had a 340 with a MP 284/.484 cam and it barely idled at 1100 rpm. I put in a set of Rhoades lifters, and got it to idle more smoothly at 800 rpm and picked up about 2-3" intake vacuum with them....

I squeezed 18 mpg out of a 68 cuda with a 318 with them also...

That's the main lifter that I use now... I like them...

If that 284 cam barely idled at 1100, something was WRONG.

...............I've run Rhodes lifters since 1984........not 1 problem, like Karl, a couple of mine have lasted endless miles..........kim................

-
Back