Light question

-

grassy

Reaction score
Did fog or running lights come on a Duster as an option ?

Does anyone have pictures ?

Thanks
Grassy

Did fog or running lights come on a Duster as an option ?

Fog lamps: No.

"Running lights": There is no such thing. That is a casual term used by many people to mean many different things. Sometimes they mean Daytime Running Lights (DRL), sometimes they mean the vehicle's parking, tail, and sidemarker lights, sometimes they mean extra toy lights they've added, sometimes they mean something else.

Fog lamps: No.

"Running lights": There is no such thing. That is a casual term used by many people to mean many different things. Sometimes they mean Daytime Running Lights (DRL), sometimes they mean the vehicle's parking, tail, and sidemarker lights, sometimes they mean extra toy lights they've added, sometimes they mean something else.

[removed really snarky comment]

I am referring to a pencil beam spot light that will illuminate the path that I want to drive..the older get, the more light I need. OR, I could be referring to a broader beam that will not show as far in advance as the pencil beam but will illuminate the sides of the road if they are properly aimed..or both at the same time.

If you are going to haul down a twisty it is best done at night because you can see their lights coming at you..however, I am not sure if this car will ever be able to do that...

I will have a DRL installed on this car soon..it is a well known fact that cars that have their front lights on are in less accidents and as we all are driving old cars, we do not want them in accidents. I have already upgraded to quartz halogen and am thinking of going up to HD..

I have seen other a bodies and some others with a very clean chrome lamp hung under the bumper and have wondered if they are an acceptable add on.

[removed really snarky comment]

Okeh…

I am referring to a pencil beam spot light

That's not a "running light", it's a pencil or spot beam, which is a type of auxiliary high beam lamp (the correct name for what is commonly called a "driving light"). Whether we call such a light an auxiliary high beam, a driving light, a spot light, or a pencil beam, it is only ever safe and legal to use in conjunction with the vehicle's main high beam headlamps on empty roads. Never with the low beams, never in traffic, never by itself.

OR, I could be referring to a broader beam that will not show as far in advance as the pencil beam but will illuminate the sides of the road if they are properly aimed..or both at the same time.

Also not a "running light". Depending on the characteristics of the beams you have in mind here, they could be fog lights or "driving lights" (auxiliary high beams) with wider beam projection than the pencil/spot variety.

I will have a DRL installed on this car soon.

Good idea. There are many ways to do it. Some are better than others. See here.

I have already upgraded to quartz halogen and am thinking of going up to HD

Careful what you buy as "upgrades"—see here, here, and here.

As for fog lamps: Even good fog lamps, which are relatively rare, are of very limited use to most drivers. Fog lamps should be turned OFF most of the time. They are meant to be used in foggy (or rainy/snowy) weather to help the driver see the edges of the road close to the car so s/he can safely make progress through foul weather at very low speeds. That is _all_ these lamps are designed, intended, and able to do -- and most of the ones available as factory or optional equipment or in the aftermarket aren't even capable of doing that. Leaving the fog lamps on at all times does not improve lighting safety performance, though many people do so in the mistaken belief that they can see better this way at normal road speeds in dry weather. See here, and a good thread (with a link to good, valid data in post #4) here as well.

I have seen other a bodies and some others with a very clean chrome lamp hung under the bumper and have wondered if they are an acceptable add on.

The under-bumper location is where to mount fog lamps if you're going to mount fog lamps. "Driving" lamps (aux high beams) want to be up at headlamp height; low-mounting them spoils their effectiveness.

The under-bumper location is where to mount fog lamps if you're going to mount fog lamps. "Driving" lamps (aux high beams) want to be up at headlamp height; low-mounting them spoils their effectiveness.

And if you sling ANY lamps upside down, make darn sure the pattern is correct. Many lamps/ reflectors have a "right side up."

quote: As for fog lamps: Even good fog lamps, which are relatively rare, are of very limited use to most drivers. Fog lamps should be turned OFF most of the time. They are meant to be used in foggy (or rainy/snowy) weather to help the driver see the edges of the road close to the car so s/he can safely make progress through foul weather at very low speeds. That is _all_ these lamps are designed, intended, and able to do -- and most of the ones available as factory or optional equipment or in the aftermarket aren't even capable of doing that. Leaving the fog lamps on at all times does not improve lighting safety performance, though many people do so in the mistaken belief that they can see better this way at normal road speeds in dry weather. See here, and a good thread (with a link to good, valid data in post #4) here as well.

i know where grassy lives and he sees all the posted above weather and sometimes all before lunch .....LOL!!

it would be very handy for him to install a set he finds classy ...real helpfull when leaving early for a show and shine lol
in my opinion if its not original it would still be a beautifull addition some models looks sweet!

-
Back