lightest A body

-

Badvert65

Long Time Mopar Nut
Reaction score
So, does anyone know which A body would be the lightest (stock)?
I am assuming it would be one of the pre-1965 two door post cars.
anyone have any numbers on such cars (weight)?
-Matt

I would say '63 to '66 Valiant 2 door post. There's a few members here that have those, can possibly give some real world numbers for ya.

62 Plymouth V100 2dr sedan shipping weight 2480lbs.
62 Dodge Lancer 2dr sedan is 2495 the second lightest a body.

This is per my book 'Standard catalogue of Chrysler'

My brother's 66 Dart 2 dr post, 3000 lbs on the scale.
Fiberglass hood, sub frame connectors, 360/904/8.75, airgap, iron heads, shorty headers, full dual exhaust, manual steering, 10" drums all around, factory AC with updated Sanden compressor.

I don't think shipping weight is a very accurate number

Yea your probably right, but I used that to compare all the a body cars from 60 - 67, since I figure I would check one later A (67) and compare the shipping weight as a reference and 62 was the lightest. These cars were equipped with the 170 as well.

The 1976 feather Duster also the Dart Lite were factory lightweight cars. Do a google search on Plymouth feather duster or Dart lite

This is the race wieght of my 62 valiant with me in it im 175 pounds the car had a turbo slant six with 8.75,caltracs,frame tied,tubular front core support,disk brakes,and 8 gals of e85, no interior and a 6 point roll bar.
Aaron

62 Plymouth V100 2dr sedan shipping weight 2480lbs.
62 Dodge Lancer 2dr sedan is 2495 the second lightest a body.

This is per my book 'Standard catalogue of Chrysler'

I would agree. I think 62 V100 2dr sedan with optional 225 aluminum block would be close if not exact.

These early cars are sooo basic. Things you take for granted like back up lights and padded dash are optional.

A 76 Dart Lite is light for a 1976 Dart. But nothing close to these early cars.

The 1976 feather Duster also the Dart Lite were factory lightweight cars. Do a google search on Plymouth feather duster or Dart lite

Sorry.....when I think of factory light weight , I think of this.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/r...ry-drag-car-for-sale-photo-gallery-59462.html

When you start talking Corning glass , aluminum bumper brackets , aluminum fenders and bumpers etc. etc. , then you are talking bidness.

The Feather Duster and Dart light were attempts to improve fuel mileage , not performance.
While the aluminum hood is nice , you'd have to be a full on retard to cut one up for a scoop.
https://oldcarjunkie.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/plymouth-feather-duster/

I don't have any scales, but I have a 62 lancer, 2 door post car,, and 63,64,65 darts..... I know the lancer is quite light, no doubt lighter than the darts. working on it very appearant the factory info is probably right.

Wait really?! That's awesome!

My 65 Belvedere I has no reverse lights and came without carpet (rubber mats). It also has no emergency flashers.
Anyway, I am thinking of building a slant six drag car. That's why I was thinking about early A bodies.
-Matt

FWIW my '67 Barracuda fastback 440/727 was 3100 with me in it, I weighed 180 at the time. All steel, gutted interior, no cage.

I know there has to be some small block early Valiants that can beat that by quite a bit.

I think some of the 70-72 dusters with no options were pretty light... perhaps a tad under 3000 lbs.

1965 Valiant 4 door 273 V-8: 4-speed with scattershield, 8 3/4 rear end, driveshaft loop, headers, aluminum intake, frame connectors, dual exhaust ending in front of differential, manual brakes and steering, no spare tire, full interior except bare floorboards--2960#.

1965 Valiant Signet convertible 273 V-8 automatic, 7 1/4 rear end: no options--3080#.

1965 Barracuda Formula S 318 V-8 automatic, 8 3/4 rear end, power steering, power brakes, rallye wheels, full interior except bare floors--3256#.

1963-1966 Valiant 2 door post car would probably be lightest. Keep in mind those cars don't come without hassles though, namely tire clearance and narrow engine bays.

'67-'69 Dart/Valiant post cars are pretty light too. They have a little more tire clearance and a standard width engine bay.

Dusters are probably the lightest of the '70s A bodies. My all steel '71 with full interior, frame connectors and iron-headed small block weighed 3,060 without me and a full tank of gas. I shaved some weight but it's a street car.

If anyone is referencing the lightest shipping weight available for a V* upgrade, they also have to consider that when you start replacing the original /6, small rear and other light duty stuff with a V8 and related components, the weight goes back up.

The Dart Lite and Feather Dusters always facinated me, even if they don't end up the lightest when upgraded with V8 stuff. It's been a while, but the hoods are about 10-15 lbs lighter and the trunks about 5-8 lbs. HUGE difference between the bumpers that have the aluminum reinforcement bracket and the steel version. But those only bolt to the shock absorber bumper brackets. The standard bumpers with regular bumper brackets are probably lighter than a Lite/Feather bumper combo.

I've heard of some racers even "uncrimp" the aluminum bracing and recrimp it under an earlier A-body hood ('70-'72) to save weight!

If anyone is referencing the lightest shipping weight available for a V* upgrade, they also have to consider that when you start replacing the original /6, small rear and other light duty stuff with a V8 and related components, the weight goes back up.

The Dart Lite and Feather Dusters always facinated me, even if they don't end up the lightest when upgraded with V8 stuff. It's been a while, but the hoods are about 10-15 lbs lighter and the trunks about 5-8 lbs. HUGE difference between the bumpers that have the aluminum reinforcement bracket and the steel version. But those only bolt to the shock absorber bumper brackets. The standard bumpers with regular bumper brackets are probably lighter than a Lite/Feather bumper combo.

I've heard of some racers even "uncrimp" the aluminum bracing and recrimp it under an earlier A-body hood ('70-'72) to save weight!

Myron, that tidbit about the hood is good info, thanks for that! I'd like to see one up close.

I forgot about the Dart Lite and Feather Dusters. Not too many around these days though, especially in unaltered form.

So many ways to reduce weight on these cars but it can take a lot of work and money to do in a less-than-obvious way.

Myron, that tidbit about the hood is good info, thanks for that! I'd like to see one up close.

Thanks. The most obvious way to identify them is by the 3/4"x1/8" crimps around the front & sides. You can just make them out in the pic. Naturally a magnet would help, especially on the trunk, which doesn't have any "crimps". I'm pretty sure some came with all steel trunks because I went to buy a set once and there was a "problem". The colors matched perfectly and the seller swore that they were off of the same car.

Attachments

• Dodge-Dart-Lite-Spirit-of-76-Hemmings-Photo.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 469
Mine !! I'm a type A personality, and I weigh 195 pounds !!

-
Back