Lightest Spool for 8 3/4 489?

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am about to throw together another Gear set for my drag car, and I am using 30 spline axles and I wanted to get some thoughts on which spool is lighter..

This is going into a Slant 6 Drag car that I am trying to get into the 11's so every ounce or lack of ounces is important in my combo.

On Summit I have pretty much 2 choices for 30 spline 8 3/4" spools

the Richmond : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RMG-81-87530-1/

or the Strange: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-D1556/

I have used the Strange in a few of the other Pigs... The richmond Looks a bit lighter by design.. Can anyone verify this.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Greg

I think you will have to call the various company's and ask. My vote would be Moser (that is what I run with 35 spline axles) because of their AWESOME customer service. BTW, you can get gun drilled axles to save weight too if you like.

Thanks flyfish.. I will look into the gun drilled axles.. is there any worry about strength on the Gun drilled parts?? Not that it will matter too much with my slant but just curious.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, They run gun drilled axels on 10.5 outlaw cars I dont think we need to worry. I think I have a Strangs spool.
Will

the one i got from doctor diff was pretty light... and for 140 with bearings its a hell of alot cheaper... and yes 30 spline...

It looks like i Might go with the Richmond Spool... It is profilied and Has more swiss cheese in it. That's always good! I have a strange 30 spline in both my 4.30 and 4.56 Pigs.. Never a problem.

The Moser Spool appears to be only for the 35 spline on the mopar 8 3/4" so I guess I will have to pass on that, but I will keep them in mind when It comes time for those gun drilled axles.

Thanks guys.

Greg

It looks like i Might go with the Richmond Spool... It is profilied and Has more swiss cheese in it. That's always good! I have a strange 30 spline in both my 4.30 and 4.56 Pigs.. Never a problem.

The Moser Spool appears to be only for the 35 spline on the mopar 8 3/4" so I guess I will have to pass on that, but I will keep them in mind when It comes time for those gun drilled axles.

Thanks guys.

Greg

did you look up the doctor diff unit? its holey and light... on the wallet to...

A side note...If you are drag racing with a spool, technically you are REQUIRED to have after market axles...

not that a tech inspector is going to check..but that is what the rule book says.....

805, Doctor diff's site must be going through a renovation or something... last night it was down and I was on there today and it was a bit sparse..

The pic I saw on there of the dr diff spool was pretty much the same design as the Strange spools I currently have.

70aar, I am running aftermarket axles so I am "plying by the rules"

Thanks all!

Greg

Well I got the Richmond Spool In the Mail From Summit.

It weighs in at at 9.204# and 11.060# with Bearings - This is the 30 Spline Model.

P8080003.jpg

P8080004.jpg

P8080005.jpg

If anyone has a Moser, Dr Diff, or Strange or other spool without a ring gear on it feel free to weigh it to compare.

Greg

Well I got the Richmond Spool In the Mail From Summit.

It weighs in at at 9.204# and 11.060# with Bearings - This is the 30 Spline Model.

P8080003.jpg

P8080004.jpg

P8080005.jpg

If anyone has a Moser, Dr Diff, or Strange or other spool without a ring gear on it feel free to weigh it to compare.

Greg

i would but mine not free...

Greg I got a 30 spline on the way from Dr Diff. will weigh and post when it gets here.When it comes to weight, your into grams, and not the cracker kind ...

Local speed shop had some aluminum spools made for their Stockers and I think I saw one last time I was there.
Kammer & Kammer Enterprises

(937) 237-8675

Thanks for the updates guys. this is helpful... Reducing the rotating mass as much as possible on a slant 6 drag car is critical...

I am looking into Lighter Gun Drilled axles as an upgrade for my project as well.

Greg

Greg, Got my steel 30 spline spool from Dr.Diff. Weight 10.1 with bearings.Plan is to do up my 4.30's and put them back in the Dart in place of the 3.73's for next season. Still won't be catching up to you though...

-
Back