Lighting Nightmare

-

moparduster

Reaction score
ok heres my problem. 73 dart sport. headlights, brake lights, and turn signals work. marker lights, tail lights and parking lights do not. i checked the switch. 2 old switches and 1 brand new switch and they all do the same thing. But when i run a jumper wire (from the power comming to the switch to the 2 wires that control the lights that dont work) they turn on. which is telling me that there is not a break in a wire. ive looked over my wiring diagram numerous times and still cant get the lights to work right. anyone have an idea?

bad ground at the radiator support,on each side of it there is a ground wire bolted to the car with 5 / 16' head bolt clean up those connections,try that first

a those running lights are on brown wires and a seperate fuse. Tail lights, tags lights, side markers, all

but all the fuses are good and with the jumper wire they will light up. thats whats confusing the hell out of me.

There are 2 wires that provide power to the headlight switch. Are they both good? 1 is for just headlights, the other for all the stuff that isn't working on yours.

Where are you attaching the jumper wires? Is it possible that there's a problem with the plug itself?

There are 2 wires that provide power to the headlight switch. Are they both good? 1 is for just headlights, the other for all the stuff that isn't working on yours.

Where are you attaching the jumper wires? Is it possible that there's a problem with the plug itself?

Now it gets more confusing. i was looking at the wiring diagram and noticed the 2 power wires. i noticed the black controls the headlights and thats been where i have been puting the jumper wire to (black and white wire to the black and yellow) when everything work. so i hooked up the volt metter to the other power wire. 11.8v hook up the jumper and test the power at the same termal and no power. unhook the jumper and power right back to 11.8v. :banghead:

there is one fuse labeled 'park' that should send 12v to a terminal on the headlight switch. If that isn't happening the problem is between the switch harness connector and that fuse. You could have a loose or broken connection on the backside of the fuse box.

I posted more detailed info about the light wiring in this thread http://forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=83686

Maybe that will help?

Not sure exactly where you are checking with the meter, but my hunch is the problem is either in the fuse box, or bad grounds somewhere. The way the park/turn signals and the tail/brake/turn signals are wired, the two circuits share a ground connection, and can do weird back feeding thing if the sockets aren't getting good grounds.

-
Back