Lights flicker and gauge jumps around???

-
This sounds like interaction caused by the MSD. There are articles here and there about this. The MSD and other high power ignitions similar to it generate so much energy, that they can "false" trigger THEMSELVES causing misfires, backfires, etc. If you look on the MSD site, there are articles about that. Here, this is known by a few names, EMI (electromagnetic interference) is one.

...I don´t have miss or backfire issues. Only the flickering. voltage /lights
I will "rewire " everything once again today... I am thinkuíng about the BROWN Wire that is comming from the IGN Switch.... Because I use a relais to feed the MSD RTR
I think I only need the blue wire.... from the IGN switch... because as soon as I turn the key to the RUN Position I have 12 V on the Coil /Distributor... so the brown wire is useless.... and perhaps creates something like a interference... also my coil is 3 feet away from the Distributor... on the inner fender...I will relocate her...back to the firewall...( close to the Distributor )

Greetings Juergen

Thanks to the advise from user superchargeddrt I could resolve the flickering "problem ".... installed a relais.... and now everything is fine !!!

Thank you !
Greetings from Germany
Juergen

Great thread. Help me out though, I have installed HEI on my slant, so the ballast is gone. I have also installed a relay for the ignition, and done the MAD bypass. Is your relay something different that the ingition relay? I also already have a relay on the HEI, and also a pair of relays on the headlights. I still have real bad light flicker/pulse.. all the time. If I speed up , the flicker speeds up

Great thread. Help me out though, I have installed HEI on my slant, so the ballast is gone. I have also installed a relay for the ignition, and done the MAD bypass. Is your relay something different that the ingition relay? I also already have a relay on the HEI, and also a pair of relays on the headlights. I still have real bad light flicker/pulse.. all the time. If I speed up , the flicker speeds up
My relay is just a garden variety BWD R3177 (commonly used for aftermarket driving or fog lights) I bought at Advance Auto. You don't have to have the ballast installed but if the blue wire is still there use it to trigger the coil of the relay (if you buy the same relay I noted which connection is what on that drawing). If you don't use the blue wire then all that is required is that you find a wire that goes hot (and stays hot) when the ignition is turned on. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I can give you my number. Good Luck

P.S. you can try this out BEFORE you install the relay by using a temporary jumper wire from the battery positive or the starter relay battery stud to the center I connection on the regulator. If it stops the flickering (which it should) then install your relay. I think this whole problem is being caused by old, worn out or dirty ignition switch contacts.

Last edited:
-
Back