Lignum vitae

-

DodgeLad

Skipped the Light Fandango
Reaction score
I was looking up the hardness of various woods and came across it. Just an aside, I had no idea bamboo is around as hard as maple.

very interesting wood...'wood of life'
Janka hardness = 4500
hickory = 1820
bamboo = 1300-1400

doesn't float
very slow growing, decades to grow 10'
endangered of course
can brew a tea with it
resin is medicinal
Pete Seeger's banjo neck is made of it
bearings and electrical insulators can be made of it
Panama Railroad ties are made of it
popular for cricket balls
some old bowling balls are made of it
berries and purple flowers on the tree, birds eat the berries
sold by the lb
the dust is toxic
turns green with age

I want a small amount for a conversation piece.

I was looking up the hardness of various woods and came across it. Just an aside, I had no idea bamboo is around as hard as maple.

very interesting wood...'wood of life'
Janka hardness = 4500
hickory = 1820
bamboo = 1300-1400

doesn't float
very slow growing, decades to grow 10'
endangered of course
can brew a tea with it
resin is medicinal
Pete Seeger's banjo neck is made of it
bearings and electrical insulators can be made of it
Panama Railroad ties are made of it
popular for cricket balls
some old bowling balls are made of it
berries and purple flowers on the tree, birds eat the berries
sold by the lb
the dust is toxic
turns green with age

I want a small amount for a conversation piece.

I just bought some Katalox from Cook Woods.
Janka Hardness - 3660

I think they had some Lignum Vitae as well.

Most of those dense hardwoods are irritants to the lungs, eyes, sweaty skin.

They take an unbelievable polish and shine with not much sanding, smoothing plane, card scraper, whatever.

Exotic Woods & Hardwoods of the World | Cook Woods

I haven't heard those words since the 80's when I left the big industrial/ auto parts supply house I worked for. That stuff is used (was) for "stuffing box" boat prop bearings, and in the industrial world for other stuff subject to water. I guess it is really somethin'

Stern Tube Bearings - Lignum Vitae | Wood Bearings

Benefits of the Material as a Stern Tube Bearing:

• Self lubricating
  • Zero Tolerance (We can touch the shaft)
  • High shock load
  • 100% bearing material
  • Low maintenance
  • Low friction
  • Run of the river or salt water applications
  • High edge load
  • Easy to machine
  • Non conducting
  • Easy installation
  • Custom made to your specifications

Two Years After the Titanic.

Artefacts - 'Lignum Vitae' hardwood

"A ship like no other." Truly it is a testimony of her sea-worthiness throughout. This time we're descending deep into her past, down where one can smell the fumes, the oil, sound of machinery running and heat. We enter the Medina's propeller tunnel-shaft.

In the old days, the shaft inside the tube was bronze coated and run against a longitudinal bearing, which, when I was serving my time on the Doulos, still retains its narrow strips of a very hard-wearing wood known as “lignum vitae.” Lignum vitae is hard and durable, and is also the densest wood traded; it will easily sink in water. The belaying pins and dead-eyes aboard the USS Constitution and many other sailing ships were made from lignum vitae. Due to its density and natural oils, they rarely need replacement, despite the severity of typical marine weathering conditions.

Thursday, May 10, 2012
Artefacts - 'Lignum Vitae' hardwood

"A ship like no other." Truly it is a testimony of her sea-worthiness throughout. This time we're descending deep into her past, down where one can smell the fumes, the oil, sound of machinery running and heat. We enter the Medina's propeller tunnel-shaft.

In the old days, the shaft inside the tube was bronze coated and run against a longitudinal bearing, which, when I was serving my time on the Doulos, still retains its narrow strips of a very hard-wearing wood known as “lignum vitae.” Lignum vitae is hard and durable, and is also the densest wood traded; it will easily sink in water. The belaying pins and dead-eyes aboard the USS Constitution and many other sailing ships were made from lignum vitae. Due to its density and natural oils, they rarely need replacement, despite the severity of typical marine weathering conditions.

shaft-a4-09Nov07.jpg

It grows in the Florida keys , actually one of the keys is named after it , a state park cool place.

-
Back