like my mom raised me

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i have been noticing over the years as i hold a door open for a woman hardly anybody says thank you i know its a lil thing but i am wondering if it is all over the world, iknow it is a small gesture but so is saying thank you i was taught that was proper manners

yep it's pretty much global now.

Same as getting a little wave after you let someone into traffic.

Makes me feel like giving them a PIT maneuver afterwards when they don't:toothy10:

You're a good man. So glad to hear from another gentleman that was taught well. I do the same thing but have also noticed that it sometimes gets no response... not that I want one. It's just my hope that when I do the small social graces that it will be noticed and perhaps passed along.
Some people these days seem to have had no upbringing at all. It is sad to think that many facets our society are 'dumbing' down.

You're a good man. So glad to hear from another gentleman that was taught well. I do the same thing but have also noticed that it sometimes gets no response... not that I want one. It's just my hope that when I do the small social graces that it will be noticed and perhaps passed along.
Some people these days seem to have had no upbringing at all. It is sad to think that many facets our society are 'dumbing' down.
thanks i didnt think iwas the only one lol

Small towns around here still do. It is getting rare though. I'm only 29 and I have people look at me funny because I open doors ( including the car door ) for my wife. At least she says thank you.

I have taken women on dates and the first time I open a door for them they
look surprised. I actually had one women say "you still do that" and I said "yes
I do". We went out a couple weeks later and I followed her to the passenger side
of my truck to open the door she said "I forgot you did that". I asked her if other
guys that she dated opened doors for her she laughed and said "are you kidding
no" and she was in her mid 40's. I guess some of us in our 40's and 50's are
forgetting the manners our mother taught us.

I do the same thing, even in line at bank machine or whatever I will let the women go first. If I dont get a "thank you" they get a "welcome *****!"

I've held the door for black, white, hispanic men and women,.some say thanks, some don't. I've had them hold the door for me too and I always say thanks.

Yeah I always say "your welcome" as if they had said thank you , most stop and look puzzled for a second or two then blush and say "sorry thank you "

My wife is as polite as they come. She's a little 4'8'' blonde hair blue eyes woman that has all the manners in the world. As innocent as they get for 25 years old. Anyway she gets teased about being locked in a basement her whole life. It really is a rare thing to have manners these days. People act like its a lost art or something.

i was thinking it was a me first screw the others complex i was taught the golden rule as my mother said do unto others as you would have done to you

I hold doors and let people out in traffic, let people go first at 4 way stops. I've found that older men and women will usually say thank you, Blacks almost never and hispanics about 50% of the time. remember it ain't racial profileing if it's true. And when people don't say thanks, I will say very loud, YOUR WELCOME!

i have been noticing over the years as i hold a door open for a woman hardly anybody says thank you i know its a lil thing but i am wondering if it is all over the world, iknow it is a small gesture but so is saying thank you i was taught that was proper manners

It sure seems like manners are dying. I always have (and still do) opened doors for women. I always open the car door for my wife. There is one bright spot that happened to me several months back, while opening the door for my wife a younger guy (aout early 20's) said to me that it was good to see a man opening a door for his wife. It restores a little bit of faith in the younger generation for me.

It sure seems like manners are dying. I always have (and still do) opened doors for women. I always open the car door for my wife. There is one bright spot that happened to me several months back, while opening the door for my wife a younger guy (aout early 20's) said to me that it was good to see a man opening a door for his wife. It restores a little bit of faith in the younger generation for me.
I have to say, I'm glad there are people from my generation (other than me and my wife) that do

Opening doors and saying thank you are still alive and well here in the midwest (usually). You guys in the warmer south, how about we trade and you can see what manners are like and I can see what a warm winter is like.

Opening doors and saying thank you are still alive and well here in the midwest (usually). You guys in the warmer south, how about we trade and you can see what manners are like and I can see what a warm winter is like.
Ok but I think you'll be disappointed. Its HOT down here. flat land and hardly any plant life to speak of

-
Back