Limited slip fluid

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Made some passes on a rebuilt 742 case and used the Valvoline 80/90 gear oil that states that it has the limited slip additive in it. I made 6 passes and noticed last weekend that I'm getting clutch chatter when backing up and pulling forward in slight turns. The diff was set up by a local known Mopar guy so I definitely trust his work. So my plan is to drain the gear oil and install new oil, any recommendations on the additive. First time I've used this type of gear oil with the additive in it as it states on the bottle, so far not impressed. center section is all new 3.55 gears to.:burnout:

Ask the guy who set it up. I'm surprised he didn't fill it for you. I like to save a little too, but when it came to the rear I didn't even research it. Went to Chrysler and got the lube and additive.

Use the ford stuff it's like $6 for 4 oz us the whole bottle with a a good oil, I going to to try Torco 85/140 RGO which Mark Williams recommends.

I took the center section to him to rebuild, so no way to fill it. The 8/34 housing was drilled and tapped for a drain plug so that's a plus. Will check out the recommended additive at the dealers, have 2 local , both Ford and Mopar. Didn't know if anyone had used an aftermarket additive with good results.

I have used the same valvoline 80/90 for hundreds of miles, no issues yet.

Sounds like people are using numerous types of lube successfully. I think you broke something. Why not take a peek before you kill the rear dead?

I have used the same valvoline 80/90 for hundreds of miles, no issues yet.
I don't know, I got 3 1/4 mile passes and 3 1/8 mile passes on it with hoosier dot slicks. Noticed it pulling from the trailer on the grass heading to the lanes and also on the blacktop turning into the lanes. Did my burnouts fine with no noise. Years ago I had a D150 2 wheel drive pick up that had a 9 1/4 sure grip that started to chatter so I removed the cover , drained and refilled, but don't remember what additive I used, probably 20 years ago. After the change, all was well. I guess the additive breaks down over time and looses it's ability to do it's job.

I have the corporate 9.25" LS in my '05 Ram. Used the Mobil 1 synthetic alleged "friction modifier added" lube and it resulted in the chatter also. Was especially noticed when towing. Went ahead and added the Mopar friction modifier and that did the trick for me.

I have the corporate 9.25" LS in my '05 Ram. Used the Mobil 1 synthetic alleged "friction modifier added" lube and it resulted in the chatter also. Was especially noticed when towing. Went ahead and added the Mopar friction modifier and that did the trick for me.

Thanks, maybe that's what I will do. The gear is fresh with only those few passes on it and no street miles. That would be cheaper just adding the additive. My thoughts is maybe the gear oil doesn't have enough of the additive in it that the sure grip requires.

I have always understood that this also depends on how the limited slip is set up AND the nature of the clutches etc; a tighter set-up on some diff types will make it so that the pre-added stuff is not adequate.

My worst chatter issues were on a limited slip that was set up tighter than normal for racing; only the Ford additive worked. My '07 Dodge PU explicitly states then no additive is needed for the LSD's gear oil. So you can't take a plain-jane street LSD experience to necessarily apply to a race setup, etc.

I have always understood that this also depends on how the limited slip is set up AND the nature of the clutches etc; a tighter set-up on some diff types will make it so that the pre-added stuff is not adequate.

My worst chatter issues were on a limited slip that was set up tighter than normal for racing; only the Ford additive worked. My '07 Dodge PU explicitly states then no additive is needed for the LSD's gear oil. So you can't take a plain-jane street LSD experience to necessarily apply to a race setup, etc.

That maybe the case, I don't know. I trust this guy as he has his own business and has been a Mopar guy all his life and he does work for other's concerning Mopars.:D Everything is new in this center section. Rear is nice and quiet going down the track and on the return road so I don't feel anything is broken, but he may have set it up tighter since I mentioned it would see some track action from time to time. Street car with a bone stock 360, through the manifolds, pipes and mufflers, so I don't think it would hurt anything, not enough HP.:)

Regardless of what the bottle of gear lube claims, any functioning limited slip differential requires at least 4 oz of friction modifier additive.

If the gear lube does not smell like friction modifier, it does not have enough in it.

Regardless of what the bottle of gear lube claims, any functioning limited slip differential requires at least 4 oz of friction modifier additive.

If the gear lube does not smell like friction modifier, it does not have enough in it.

Cass, is there a brand you would recommend using?

Wal-Mart Super Tech conventional 85 w 140, GL5 grade gear lube and Ford friction modifier additive is cost effective, easy to get and effective.

-
Back