line locks......

-

68gts340

Reaction score
what ar you guys running for a line lock, any preferance s ?? which one is better that the other ??? and why...

I've got ancient Hurst Roll Control on my Barracuda..I'll be honest, I havent needed it in years. (automatic...) I think as long as it's plumbed properly they are pretty much the same thing..Unless you're bracket racing..a failure there can ruin a money run..

I am running a B&M roll control, it has proven to be reliable and it was cheaper than other brands. Once I put my stall converter in I too haven't had to use it.

Iv'e got a Biondo line loc. Only reason is because it was half the price of all the others, and it didn't come with any switches or lights. And to me the switches and lights aren't worth $40. I picked it up from summit for about 45 about 2 years ago, it's not all shiney or made from billet aluminum but it get's the job done.

Got an old Hurst line lock on the Duster. I only use it for burnouts.
Just use the brake to hold it on the line, to pre load the suspension.
Summit makes one that seems to work good and is cheap. About $40.00
bucks.

I run a B&M cause I like the switch that came with it....made it easy for me to mount.

linlock1.JPG

LLbutton.JPG

I've got a 68 Barracuda with a 4-speed and I'm just getting into bracket racing. 64Dartwagon mentioned that he bought his line lock without any switches or lights. My silly question is, how did you control the brakes without at least a switch?

I used a button on my shifter handle that's made in. I have a quarter stick with a N.O.S. t-handle. I don't need a light to tell me I have my finger on the button. I do have a switch to activate the system though. And I picked up the other fittings and longer pieces of 3/16th brake line etc.. at a local Napa Auto Parts. I figured I needed to do the brake lines and all at the same time anyways due to going with disc, dual port master, 8 1/4 rear, etc it would be cheaper to just buy long lines and a double flare kit.

can someone explain to me how to install one of these, its just you press a button and your rear brakes are disabled right. thanks :thumblef:

When the line lock is not activated it let's the fluid go in either direction, as in press the pedal and if flows thru the lock and activates the brakes. Release the pedal and the fluid is allowed to go back to the master. The line lock is plumbed into the front brake feed. Between the master and front brakes. When you activate the lock it allows fluid to go to the front brakes but not go back to the master. You typically would press the brake pedal to build pressure hit the button and hold it, release the brake pedal-this would keep the front brakes activated while letting the rear brakes release. You can then hit the gas and do your burn out, if it still pushes thru the brakes you can pump the pedal once or twice more and release to build more pressure. The lock now acts like a one way check valve, when activated. The rear brakes are still functional if you use the pedal. To let the car roll again you would release the button and it in turn would let the fluid go back to the master just like normal.

64dartwagon said:
When the line lock is not activated it let's the fluid go in either direction, as in press the pedal and if flows thru the lock and activates the brakes. Release the pedal and the fluid is allowed to go back to the master. The line lock is plumbed into the front brake feed. Between the master and front brakes. When you activate the lock it allows fluid to go to the front brakes but not go back to the master. You typically would press the brake pedal to build pressure hit the button and hold it, release the brake pedal-this would keep the front brakes activated while letting the rear brakes release. You can then hit the gas and do your burn out, if it still pushes thru the brakes you can pump the pedal once or twice more and release to build more pressure. The lock now acts like a one way check valve, when activated. The rear brakes are still functional if you use the pedal. To let the car roll again you would release the button and it in turn would let the fluid go back to the master just like normal.
i see, i read the discripting on summit about these, thanks for the info, it sounds pretty easy to install them, i want them now, but i always did :)

Ok I am jumping in here haha. So your saying the solenoid lets the fluid ONLY go to the front brakes? But blocks off the fluid going to the rear? I am planning to install one on my Dart as soon as I get everything finished on it. Plus I know alot about brakes so I am just curious to this.

It acts like a electric check valve. Without power the fluid goes back and forth through it. With power the fluid goes through but is not let back. As back to the master. You plumb it in the front brake lines. If you need full brakes then just hit the pedal like normal other than that it will hold the front engaged as long as you hold the power on the lock. You release the lock and the fluid goes back to the master like normal.

Mmmm that is a weird. I thought that it would block off the fluid going to the rear and allowing the front to work only. Oh well I have never really looked into them or anything I just repair and inspect brakes and always knew I wanted a line lock cause of the burn outs! haha

It's alot like a micro-loc used on larger trucks, but it's not manually operated or plumbed for the rear.

Yeah I under stand it now... my automotive teacher pounded into my head what a check valve was haha. Just didnt know exactly how they worked. Thanks!

well guys I went with the summit cheapo.....guess what....it did'nt work properly,,,, so i called summit and they ups me a second one and ordered a pick up of the old (new one ) ... a little more work ,but at least they were good about it ....no hassels at all...... I 'll let ya know how # two works out...
just came today with a bunch of parts for the dart....gotta love christmas in june.......

68gts340 said:
well guys I went with the summit cheapo.....guess what....it did'nt work properly,,,, so i called summit and they ups me a second one and ordered a pick up of the old (new one ) ... a little more work ,but at least they were good about it ....no hassels at all...... I 'll let ya know how # two works out...
just came today with a bunch of parts for the dart....gotta love christmas in june.......

Merry JuneMas I think it should be a new holiday month myself. Iv'e had real good luck with summit also. I had ordered some -6 fittings and two of them only had threads on one side. The other end was never machined. I called them and the next day I had two replacements, with no questions asked. They didn't even bother to want the others back.

-
Back