Lines, Hoses, what fits?

-

dartslantsix

Reaction score
I have a couple questions as I'm hooking everything up to my 94 318 Magnum. I'm using the serpentine drive as well- out of a Grand Cherokee.

First is regarding the lower radiator hose. My car is a 67 and has the radiator inlet on the driver side while the pump side is on the passenger. Has anyone run into this and how did you solve it? I'm thinking I'll have to make up a metal tube connected by rubber elbows.

Second question is regarding power steering. I'm using the stock power steering gear and the pump is the Jeep Grand Cherokee style (not sure if this uses the same connection as the truck pump). What line fits? I think someone mentioned the Diplomat hose- will that work?

Thanks in advance.

I'm putting a 5.9 from a ram with the serpentine set up in my 70 duster with power steering. I went ahead and bought a champion radiator with the hose connection on the passenger side to match the factory magnum water pump.

For the power steering hose I'm using the factory 70 v8 duster power steering hose. Luckily it is shaped properly to fit and the pump end connects directly to he pump without any adapters.

Hope that helps and good luck!

1973 small block and a few years after that have the lower outlet on the passenger side of the radiator and the top closer to the driver's side. I had a 4-core brass radiator made by US Radiator, as I hate the look of aluminum radiators in Mopars unless they are painted black.

My 1968 power steering hose threaded right into my Durango serpentine power steering pump. In fact, I just bought a new replacement hose for $28, because the old hose was starting to look old and had exterior cracking going on. Bolted right on.

I used a narrower battery and cut the battery tray a little to narrow it, so I didn't have to look for a van power steering pump. The battery still has 825 CCA even though it's pretty narrow. It was reportedly designed as an auxiliary battery for a Ford van-sized school bus.

Attachments

• IMG_3279 (Large).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 188
No problem, assuming it's a brass tank. Any good rad shop should be able to relocate the inlet on your rad to the passenger side.

For the power steering hose I'm using the factory 70 v8 duster power steering hose. Luckily it is shaped properly to fit and the pump end connects directly to he pump without any adapters.

Hope that helps and good luck![/QUOTE]

You have to change the fitting in the back of the pump

Original Magnum Saginaw P/S pump has a fitting on the back for hi pressure that is a Metric thread with an O-ring seal whereas every A Body Mopar ever made with P/S came with STD thread inverted flare seal

You can screw the fitting from your original pump into the newer pump & use your hose

I don't know if the six and eight cyl. had different pumps, but my 72 dart had a slant and the hose had an inverted flare. went to autozone and bought one for a 72 with v8 and it had the o-ring fitting. fit the pump just fine. now mine is a ram pump and not a Durango if there's any difference. dave.

I'm using the Jeep pump, which uses a 16MM o-ring fitting, male. Here's a pic of it. What's nice is that I don't have to fiddle with the battery tray because it's so small.
I think I'll just go ahead and buy a Diplomat hose and check it- it's cheap enough. I'll report back here when I figure that out.

92-3 Dodge truck with a Magnum for upper & lower radiator hoses You have to shorten them but they work when using a later A body radiator

-
Back