List and questions for a carbed 5.9 magnum swap

-

cooooledart

Reaction score
Thinking about swapping a 360 magnum into my dart, I'd like to put a 4 barrel on it, keep the serpentine setup but remove the a/c and power steering. I have lots of questions about what I do and dont need.

Do I need a new alternator? Some forums say you do and some say you dont.

Do I need a new starter? I may get a mini starter to free up some room for headers.

Will the stock exhaust manifolds fit until I can buy a set of headers?

I think I need a new distributor, correct me if I'm wrong.

Does it have a mechanical fuel pump? Do I need a new one or can I run the oem magnum one?

Anybody got the pulley part number for ac and ps delete?

Its a slant 6 car, will the wiring be difficult?

Thats all the questions I got now, thanks for all the help and opinions.

What year car you putting this in?

You don't need a new alternator and can use whatever is on the car now for a VR (what year is your car?)

The Magnums all came with a "mini" starter unless you don't get one with the engine. Mid 90's Dodge RAM / Dakota 5.2 / 5.9 starter

Manifolds, headers, fine

You need whatever you'd use in an LA for a distributor for carb. "Keep the EFI" (thinks I)

Mags don't have a mech pump. Easy answer.........electric, rear mount pump

I know nothing of the serpentine belts, but I bought a 96-7 junker RAM with a froze up AC pump. someone put a shorter belt on there and bypassed the bad compressor, so that might be one way.

Consider keeping the EFI. There are ways to do factory, or use Megasquirt, and others.

The Magnums all came with a "mini" starter unless you don't get one with the engine. Mid 90's Dodge RAM / Dakota 5.2 / 5.9 starter

You need whatever you'd use in an LA for a distributor for carb. "Keep the EFI" (thinks I)

Consider keeping the EFI. There are ways to do factory, or use Megasquirt, and others.
'88-up RWD Chrysler (basically just not the D50, Conquest, Raider) on the starter. The one we usually use is '98 Durango just for consistency.

You'll need a car 360 pan and pickup- the truck stuff won't work in the Dart. Slants don't have the same bell pattern, it's integral on the autos so you'll need a v8 trans.

Consider keeping the EFI. It's not that bad to do the wiring and fuel pump, and the results are very nice.

I've considered keeping the efi, it would probably be cheaper. Being in high school I have a small budget.

What year car you putting this in?

You don't need a new alternator and can use whatever is on the car now for a VR (what year is your car?)

Manifolds, headers, fine

I know nothing of the serpentine belts, but I bought a 96-7 junker RAM with a froze up AC pump. someone put a shorter belt on there and bypassed the bad compressor, so that might be one way.

I was under the impression that magnum exhaust mañnies won't work in an a body. Well that is to say the drivers side won't work. Am I mistaken?

I was under the impression that magnum exhaust mañnies won't work in an a body. Well that is to say the drivers side won't work. Am I mistaken?

I thought you meant using the manifolds (they are not "mannies") that went with the body. I think some magnum manifolds will work on the pass side. Headers must fit the body

-
Back