"Literally" "fixing things for pennies............."

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I have several small chargers, most of them the clips are getting old. Some time back I bought some clips off egag that "I thought" would do, but they turned out to be the usual chineseoationized "carap" These folded back like cardboard at some point, so I installed "gussets" LOL

Hell probly DOUBLED the price!!!

IMG_1558.JPG

I have several small chargers, most of them the clips are getting old. Some time back I bought some clips off egag that "I thought" would do, but they turned out to be the usual chineseoationized "carap" These folded back like cardboard at some point, so I installed "gussets" LOL

Hell probly DOUBLED the price!!!

View attachment 1715953645
Too bad our pennies ain't copper... lol. Nice Job Dell! Very Ingenious! I like it!

The secret to most of this kind of nonsense including soldering old wire, is of course getting it clean if you can and---- "adding liquid flux." When I was working at the wheel chair joint, we had an "antique" remains of a gallon of liquid Kester "44" flux. We mixed it about 1:3, flux to isopropyl. I still have about a pint, and it works pretty good.

Kinda like sweating copper, then, I guess? Sand the heck outta it, wipe and flux. Just a different material and system

Pre-1981 pennies?

Pre-1981 pennies?
Nope. Even though the middle of 'em isn't copper the outside is PLATED. There are several situations with plated copper.

One is refrigeration/ AC hermetic compressors and filters. The tube fitting is steel but copper plated. You have to be somewhat careful not to overheat and burn off the copper when using "sil-fos" brazing rod. Or---just flux it and use silver braze rod

Another is when I worked for Motorola using "Heliax" a type of semi- hard line flexible RF feedline. Most larger Heliax has an aluminum/ copper plated center conductor, which you must solder to. This can be "interesting" when doing a repair on a tower, as they are almost always windy, which of course greatly cools the joint. I used to use a big (and expensive) Weller Butane iron. I used a much larger tip than shown here. About 1/4 or 5/16 wide chisel tip

At the time in the mid-late 90's they were just over a hundred bucks Now, they are over 200 bucks

WEL_WPA2_IMG-MAIN_1-2.jpg

This is 1/2" 50 ohm Heliax--you can see the aluminum center. "A quick Google" suggests that most Heliax connectors nowadays are mechanical connections and not soldered At the time the larger sizes up over an inch were mechanical

ldf4-50a.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE fixing stuff......I'm not loving this "throw away" world we've turned into. .......

Good job....stored in the back of me brain!

Jeff

Nice fix FYI, Mueller is the way to go. Sold them for decades. Clips - Mueller Electric
As I tried to indicate earlier, "I thought" these were decent quality, and whoever sold them may have lied and "mentioned" Mueller. I would guess the first alligator clips I ever saw or used, when I was about 12 were Mueller. That would have been about 1960

-
Back