Little 318

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
I am getting dart back from paint soon. My plans were for a big powerhouse. Due to financial issues, I am putting stock 318 in so that I can enjoy it this summer. I would like to get a little performance upgrade, headers, intake and cam. I really just need someone to tell me what cam. I called lunati and they wanted information that I couldn't find an answer for. I honestly just want a real nice lope. I know this is stupid to some, but it is important to me! Anyone know a good cam for my lil 318? On the intake, I was looking at an eddy performer dual plane. Any help appreciated!

I think that a compcam xe262 would be a good choice for your engine along the eddy performance #2176 manifold . A 600 eddy carb with a set of hedders and you will see a difference. If you wanted to go deeper, you can get those 318 heads milled to raise your compression a little with bigger valves. PS- have you installed hedders before? if not you will find that they are a pain in the a--s , but if you want more power they are worth it (I.M.O) good luck

Do the headers go in easier if installed to block before dropping it in? Waiting to see if anyone chimes in on that cam. Intake is a go!

Do the headers go in easier if installed to block before dropping it in? Waiting to see if anyone chimes in on that cam. Intake is a go!

You can not drop the engine and headers in together, you have to have the engine half way in and kind of work the headers in, then drop the engine the rest of the way, making sure the headers to not bind the engine so it will fall in place...PITA!!!

And most of your cams that will "lope" will be a horrible choice for your engine. You can get ones that slightly lope, but anything more and your car will have nothing at all from the get go. And if you are running power brakes, then you most likely will not be able to get a cam that has a big lope to it.

I am getting dart back from paint soon. My plans were for a big powerhouse. Due to financial issues, I am putting stock 318 in so that I can enjoy it this summer. I would like to get a little performance upgrade, headers, intake and cam. I really just need someone to tell me what cam. I called lunati and they wanted information that I couldn't find an answer for. I honestly just want a real nice lope. I know this is stupid to some, but it is important to me! Anyone know a good cam for my lil 318? On the intake, I was looking at an eddy performer dual plane. Any help appreciated!

Check out the hughes whiplash cam. They have one for the 318. I was goin to use this same one in my 318 but I plan to go to a 360 with the whiplash for the 360. Makes torque downlow wicked sound and is recommended for low comp engines. Check out they website or give them a call..

What is the budget? I mean do you need to buy used or is new O.K? I like the 262 cam choice mentioned. Thats a nice daily driver cam.

New is fine. I guess the 262 is it ! I wish I could afford almn heads too, would they make a huge difference? Would I be able to swap heads in the future without pulling the motor?

New is fine. I guess the 262 is it !
That'll work fine. Good choice IMO.

I wish I could afford almn heads too, would they make a huge difference?
Not really on a stock bottom end 318. The port size on a Edel. RPM head is not very good for a very mild 318. There very well sized for a 340 or 360.

Would I be able to swap heads in the future without pulling the motor?
Yes.

Also, drop the headers in the engine bay before you drop in the engine. Have a freind on hand when the engine goes in on each side of the car to hold and position the headers as the engine goes down. Once the engine is in the K-frame mounts and to the trans bell housing, the headers can be bolted into place.

This is easier than installing the headers after the engine is in. In a BIG way.

OH, forgot, the heads on the 318 now are fine as is for that cam. the most you could do for them is just prep the valve seat with a multi angle valve job and install a bigger exhaust valve.

IMO, since your awaiting funds for a bigger engine, wait on the 318 mods and save for the bigger engine.

I recommend 250 to 270 duration and throw in a set of Rhoades variable duration lifters. They will tame out the cam at idle, but let it breathe on the mid-upper RPM. I've been running Rhoades for over 20 years and they work great.

if you are working on a later a bodie 67 and later drop the steering centerlink and feed thru the header first then you can use tie wire or bungie cords to hold the headers in place while lowering the engine in

Good note Waggin.

I like the Rhoads lifters. The 262 is mello enuff not to really need them. The duration @ 050 is barley 10* (IIRC) above the stock cams operating range with alot of improvemnt over it.

With the cam, am I looking at 262 advertised intake duration or am I looking at duration at .50 lift?

Advertised.
If it were at .050, the operating RPM would ruffly begin at 4,000 rpm's.

You certainly may perform head work at any time. On a stock bottom ended 318 I would limit my choices to 4 choices in whatever order.

1)302 casting heads needs port work to make serious h.p but 350-75 h.p without is doable.Plus they offer the best compression bump due to thier small chamber.

2)magnum;While not a true direct bolt on it is close and requires maybe an extra $125 over an la style heads for the adaptation parts. Also has a good size port for a teen and wont require head work to make 400 h.p.There is also a comp bump. There are very good aftermarket mags now,much improved over stock. I suppose the ultimate mag isnt really a mag. The rhs heads have la style rocker shafts,mag combustion chambers etc.The eq mag is just a greatly improved stock config mag.

3) 340/360 La head. A bolt on mod but gives you ports that are a tad too big for the cid of a teen. Result is not much bottom end torque compared to other heads but a huge top end and mid range. Makes for a great rpm screamer but need to have the heads milled to get comp up. Huge chambers drop the comp into the 7.5:1 range with stock pistons so not a great choice with stock pistons.

4)stock 318 head. Im a personal fan of this route as well as the mag heads. Reason being is you already have em. All they really require is some 360 1 .88 valves on the intake,some port and bowl work and they are probably as good as a 302 head,minus the fancy heart shaped chamber. But they still have a smaller chamber than the 340/360 heads. Obviously comp ratio wont change one wit without milling.

Theres no clear advantage from head to head. It all depends on what you can afford,what you already have,etc...

Why not go with a Comp Thumper, thats what they are designed for, the basic "thumper" should work just fine for you, Call Andrew Stroud at comp cams with ??? 901-795-2400 ext. 559

412. They have a small grind for a stock 318?

if you want a bigger motor ide wait,,,,dont waiste your money, save it for what you want,,or you may never get there....

ever heard the old saying,,," WHEN IT RUNS,IT,S DONE "

412. They have a small grind for a stock 318?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL20-600-4/

Make CHRYSLER
Engine Type V8
Engine Size 5.2L/318
Liter 5.2
CID 318
Beginning Year 1975
Ending Year 1989
Engine Family Mopar small block LA
Camshaft Usage Street/Strip

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 2,000-5,800
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 227
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 241
Duration at 050 inch Lift 227 int./241 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 279
Advertised Exhaust Duration 296
Advertised Duration 279 int./296 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.486 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.473 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.486 int./0.473 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 107
Grind Number 279TH7
Computer-Controlled Compatible No
Lifters Included Yes
Lifter Style Hydraulic flat tappet

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2177/

Will this work? Or should I go down to 262? Do I need the cam and lifters or cam alone?

Edelbrock cams aren't the best, they "work" but there are much better designs out there. I had a Lunati Voodoo 256/262 in my 4-bbl/dual exhaust 318 (stock bottom end) and it had a slight lope at idle and pulled really strong above 2000 RPM. Below that was about as good as a stock 318 2-bbl. so there was no loss of torque, just added mid- and top-end power. Comp XE262 would also be a good choice, can't really go wrong with any of the newer fast-ramp cam designs. Just do what has already been said and keep the adv. duration around 250-270, on the smaller side if you have stock compression and/or drive in thin air...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL20-600-4/

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 2,000-5,800

Duration at 050 inch Lift 227 int./241 exh.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.486 int./0.473 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees) 107
Grind Number 279TH7

Thanks for the info. (I hate there redundant, overkill on info summit has.)

Notice the intake duration. 227 and the power range of the cam. Will it work with the low comp. engine and gear ratio?

Thanks for the info. (I hate there redundant, overkill on info summit has.)

Notice the intake duration. 227 and the power range of the cam. Will it work with the low comp. engine and gear ratio?
I think it would, but I gave the info for him to call Andy @ comp cams, previous post, he can give him a call with what he needs.

Yeah, I tried calling but he wasn't at his desk. I'll call back in a bit. On the intake manifold, would there be benefit to go with air-gap? Should I just get the basic performer?

Yeah, I tried calling but he wasn't at his desk. I'll call back in a bit. On the intake manifold, would there be benefit to go with air-gap? Should I just get the basic performer?
The air-gap is a great intake, but the ports are the bigger 340 and 360 size. Your 318 heads have the smaller ports, there will be a port miss match, If you keep the 318 heads i would use the eddy performer the ports are smaller and closely match your heads.

-
Back