Little 318

-
That Edel 2177 would work great with a set of rhoades lifters.

The 262 is also a good choice.

Either way, Rhoades lifters will tame out the idle a little more and still keep the top end above 3500. They will give more low end and mid range torque and horsepower than standard lifters with those cams. They will also improve your fuel economy, especially when you keep the secondaries on the carb closed.

Either cam would make a nice street motor.

You could also gasket match the ports for the heads and intake to the gasket to make up for any difference in the stock teen port heads to the 340/360 port intake manifold.

Here is another ? In about a year, not this summer but next. I am planning on eddy almn heads. I would like a cam that will be a nice fit for the future. So I don't mind a little performance mismatch for now. I just do not want to buy two cams! So would a 270 or 280 be better for the future?

Here is another ? In about a year, not this summer but next. I am planning on eddy almn heads. I would like a cam that will be a nice fit for the future. So I don't mind a little performance mismatch for now. I just do not want to buy two cams! So would a 270 or 280 be better for the future?

Skip it. Save the monies and pile the parts in the corner. You'll be much much happier when you do the 360 this way instead of re-useing old parts.

Rumble is right. Your throwing money out the window. Just do it once and be patient.

I built a stock compression 318 a few yrs ago. I used this cam and advanced it 2 degrees. It is very important to degree the cam. Mine was 2 degrees retarted with the cam installed straight up. Had to use a 4 degrees advance key.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6901/

I was really surprised how strong it ran. It had a slight lope at idle and pulled really hard for what it was. I did install a 2200 stall.
Out ran several 5.0 mustangs

Degreeing a cam really wakes up a motor. As of late I've been lazt. Installed the last two I did straight up with merely O.K results. I guess I have to buy a new degree wheel. Somebody swiped my old comp one...

that edelbrock cam would work fine in a stock motor with bolt ons, but it's not gonna give you the slight "lope" your after. going by sound, you would probably never know its in there. there will be a lil more power/sound if you go with something a lil bigger. comp 262xe, comp 268H (high energy), or maybe a crane energizer 272H. regardless about any cam with around 260,270 degrees duration, and around .450" with a 110 lsa is going to have a decent sounding lope in a 318. yes you would need a new cam and lifters, you don't wanna go running used lifters on a new cam. I personally wouldn't go any bigger than the comp 262xe, if your leaving you cylinder heads alone. anyways its your motor, good luck!

An overlooked cam for the 318 is the 450/455 Mopar purpleshaft. I have one that performs strong and yes, it does have a nice chop to it without being to radical. I would choose this over a Comp cam, I've had nothing but bad luck with them. To each their own!

Well I got my parts. Air gap, summit cam 272 adv dur( I know, summit) fabricated valve covers, moroso pan. I spent about 750. I had the stock heads gone through for 130. Sooooooo..... Now I need to figure out what carb size to get. Should I stick to a 4150? 650 cfm?

Check out the hughes whiplash cam. They have one for the 318. I was goin to use this same one in my 318 but I plan to go to a 360 with the whiplash for the 360. Makes torque downlow wicked sound and is recommended for low comp engines. Check out they website or give them a call..
better choice than milling heads those cams are made for low compression 318's and you won't lose your vac for your brakes and carb.

Well I got my parts. Air gap, summit cam 272 adv dur( I know, summit) fabricated valve covers, moroso pan. I spent about 750. I had the stock heads gone through for 130. Sooooooo..... Now I need to figure out what carb size to get. Should I stick to a 4150? 650 cfm?

from what i've heard summit brand is not that bad of a cam. I think they were ground by crane, i don't know if they still are tho. a 600 cfm vac. secondary might work a lil better.

It's true, Crane grinds the Sumitt cams and there back in Biz, so the cams and stuff from Crane are being made new again.

600 cfm is all you'll need. I've been down this road and unless your racing it, (Again) then 600 is all you'll need.

Cool thanks. Two barrel or four double pumper . What is two corners oyr four corners when selecting a carb?

Your wondering about a 4 corner idle system?

You do not need it. As suggested above is all you'll need. A double pumper is the max you could make use of.

I will follow instructions!!!!! I found a solid 700r4. I currently have an a904. Will this be a direct fit?

Well a g.m tranny wont be a direct fit. There is a ton of hacking to the tranny tunnel to make it work.

As long as it is a small block tranny, then yes, it is a sirect fit to the block.

-
Back