Little Holley help please

-

iw378

Reaction score
I pulled off my 1406 to try a holley 1850 on my 318. Anyways I have been tinkering with setting the secondary idle screw ( the one underneath ). The carb to intake gasket is wetter than heck. What would be causing this.
20150414_170005_zpsgqr6vxno.jpg
The gasket is gettting soaked from the inside out. Also any good tips for adjusting the secondary idle screw. The carb seems to run fine while driving, the A/F is around 13.5 to 14.5
but at idle it is 11.9

It looks like the intake is for a spread bore carb and your using a square bore carb and carb gasket.

Yes. It worked fine with the eddie (sealed up). I'm gonna slap the eddie carb back on. I'll report back.

Put the eddy carb back on and works fine. I wanna run the holley. Advice on a good squarebore intake? I have an offenhauser on the shelf to slap on ?

I run a holley 750, so I think you are just stressing over nothing... Or your carb base is possibly cracked on the holley.

All you need is the thin sealing plate that Summit sells to run the Holley on that intake. It's like 1/8" thick. Nuthin to it.

That said, whichever carburetor you run, you need the thick insulator gasket to insulate the carburetor from direct manifold heat.

Was that a new gasket? if not, the Eddie gasket may have compressed that area, and the Holley was not sitting tight to it.
The Eddie 1406, IMO, is a nicer street carb than the 1850. If I had both,The 1850 would stay on the shelf.

For either carburetor to run correctly with no vacuum leak, you MUST run the flat sealing plate that Summit sells. Otherwise, you will keep having the same problem. A square bore carburetor will NOT seal on that intake without that plate. Ain't happenin.

-
Back