Lizard Skin or Stick & Peel

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
So I want to put some sound deadener on the floors and in the trunk area. A buddy of mine used peel & stick from home depot and seems pretty good. I was also toying with the idea of lizard skin. Anyone ever use the lizard skin before?

So I want to put some sound deadener on the floors and in the trunk area. A buddy of mine used peel & stick from home depot and seems pretty good. I was also toying with the idea of lizard skin. Anyone ever use the lizard skin before?

I'm in the process of deciding this also. Most of that fatmat/peel-n-seel type things i think focus on sound attenuation....not thermal. I came across this, which is what I think I'm going to do.

This stuff statigically placed to keep the metal from acting as a drum:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PCLPXXQ/?tag=joeychgo-20

Then this stuff on top of it to provide a layer of thermal insulation:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PCLPXXQ/?tag=joeychgo-20

And, if you have a few days to spend reading the worlds longest thread....check this out. Lots of info. People badmouth Peel-n-Seal....one guy used frost king duct insulation and actually took IR gun readings. It looked very promising, but I question how well it'll stick to the roof/doors. I'm still considering as his IR readings look really good compared to lizard skin. (which seemed basically negligible.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610-12.html

Hi Scamper, did my '72 Scamp with Lizard Skin on floor and DEI above headliner and under dash. Wow, works great. Don't like Home Cheapo crap. The crap just doesn't stand up. Just sayin'

I did lizard skin on the bottom of the car I think it was heat and was going to do sound inside but haven't yet. It looks great but it is real messy.

I sprayed the GTS I am working on with Lizard skin and the Charger the old man and I are working on. Very easy to do. Definitely get their spraying equipment. It gives a surface finish of bed liner, but it is sand-able and paint-able.

I used Damplifier Pro from Second Skin. It's a great product. There are pictures in my build thread.

Riddler

I used FatMat in my Duster, thicker than dynamat and cheaper, nice aluminum layer for heat protection. I even used it on the underside of the roof skin, even with the occasional 110* weather here I've had no issues with it coming off. It's a little heavy, probably close to 40lbs worth to do the roof and floors. But it definitely makes a difference, much quieter in the cabin.

IMG_1469_zps71790770.jpg

I wouldn't use the Home Depot junk. It's not for automotive use. Cheaper yes, but it's not the same stuff either. With the temperatures you can get in a car parked in the sun that stuff will just about liquefy. I haven't used lizard skin, my only concern with that would be removing it if you needed to change the floors or something later. Like modifying the tunnel for a transmission swap or something. But I suppose if you're planning on leaving it stock it wouldn't matter.

A lot of great ideas and info. I'm gonna have to do some research on all the different options.

-
Back