Loaded low-miles no-rust '73 Dart FS (Seattle)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Contact seller
This is my clean, straight, no-rust, low-miles, well-equipped and heavily-hyphenated 1973 Dodge Dart Custom. It is for sale to a good home! Detailed description follows the photos. The car's homepage is here.

Front view
73LH41_F34.jpg

Rear view
73LH41_R34.jpg

Left Quarter Panel (entire body is this straight and unrusted)
73LH41_Leftquarter.jpg

Holy wah…it's a Dart!
73LH41_Rear.jpg

Front interior
73LH41_Front_Int.jpg

Rear interior
73LH41_Rear_int.jpg

Instrument panel (before add-on temp gauge removed & original gauge fixed)
73LH41_IP.jpg

Middle of dashboard
73LH41_Dashcentre.jpg

Right side dashboard
73LH41_Dashright.jpg

Door panel (they're all this nice)
73LH41_Doorpanel.jpg

Underside
73LH41_Undercar.jpg

Underhood
73LH41_Underhood.jpg

Fender tag
73LH41_Fendertag.jpg

Safety Certification Label
73LH41_VSCL.jpg

On Halloween (looking down from my roof, lit only
by distant Sodium street lights, 60-second exposure)

73LH41_Night.jpg

And now the description:

This car reminds me of my granddad's last car -- that's why I bought it. It puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it (and it would do the same even if it weren't for all the smiles and waves it attracts). Not that there's anything wrong with the 2-doors, but a well-preserved sedan is a seldom-seen car. So why am I selling it? Because I have too many cars and not enough space. If that weren't the case, it would be an easy no-brainer to keep it. But I just can't.

All in all, it's a hop-in-and-drive-anywhere car in terrific condition with very minimal "surprise, you get to spend more cash on the car you just bought" factor to it. But it is a 39-year-old car, so there are a few negative points:

• The engine wants a timing chain; it still has original early '73 nylon-tooth cam sprocket on account of the low miles -- it still works, engine starts and runs well, chain's not going to jump any time soon, but there's about 6° of slack.
  • It'll want an exhaust system sooner than later. No leaks or anything; it's not dangerous or loud and it'll pass inspection, but the muffler rattles.
  • There's a hole in the carpet on the driver's floorpan; I have a new premium correct replacement from Stock Interiors as well as a large bunch of additional new and excellent used spare parts listed below.
  • Wants some door and window rubber seals; I have all of 'em brand new from Steele.
  • The driver's window mechanism wants some attention. It works, but I think one of the rollers is not quite installed right.
  • The engine temperature gauge works, but reads lower than it should. The engine reaches normal operating temperature, but the gauge doesn't quite. Probably just needs a new sender, which I have.
  • Rear bumper chrome is in fine driver condition -- not show condition, though. Rechroming the rear bumper guards, which are slightly flaking, would bring it to "excellent driver" condition. I I have a really nice shiny '73 Scamp bumper which would convert the car to the nicer looking (my opinion) one-per-side taillights as found on '70 Darts and '71-'73 Scamps.

Now lots of good stuff!:
  • 55k original miles. Still has all the original esoterica in the glovebox, including the briefly-mandated brake performance disclosure
  • No rust. Undercar thoroughly inspected, cleaned, and epoxy-sealed
  • No dents. It's straight as an arrow (or...a Dart!). There is one minor ding in the rear bumper, and that's it.
  • 225 slant-6 engine, A904 Torqueflite automatic transmission
  • Power steering, power disc brakes, factory air conditioning, lights everywhere -- glovebox, fender top turn signal indicators, under dash, trunk, etc.
  • remote sideview mirror on the left and matching mirror on the right, 3-speed wipers with electric washers, factory tinted glass all around
  • Nearly perfect shiny Dark Gold Poly paint, perfect black vinyl top, shiny stainless steel trim, virtually perfect original tan interior

Repairs & upgrades:

The car is originally from Kentucky, and still has an interesting Kentucky insurance sticker in the back window. I fixed the stuff that goes wrong with cars that sit too long and don't get driven enough:

Engine:
  • Pulled the cylinder head and cleaned out the water passages, put in new valve stem seals, de-carboned the combustion chambers, etc. The cylinders look beautiful; they've still got cross-hatch.
  • Doug Dutra blueprinted oil pump
  • New exhaust manifold (real Chrysler, not Chinese copycat)
  • New Mopar heavy duty (truck) vibration damper

Electrical system:
  • New engine compartment wiring harness (repairing previous-owner hacks)
  • New (not "remanufactured") distributor, recurved for optimal advance
  • Upgraded FBO electronic ignition control unit
  • New (not "remanufactured") alternator
  • Upgraded high-current/low-resistance ammeter
  • Exide spiral-cell premium battery, heavy-gauge new battery cables

Fuel system:
  • New (not "remanufactured") Carter carburetor and AC fuel pump.
  • Powder-coated aluminum intake manifold

Cooling, Heating & A/C systems:
  • New heavy-duty radiator core and heater core, belts, hoses, and thermostat, running Evans waterless coolant (zero corrosion). New water pump.
  • Inertia-ring type A/C compressor clutch installed

Undercar:
  • Rebuilt the entire brake system, upgraded the front disc brake calipers to the 1976 (2.75" bore) items with cop-spec pads, cop-spec rear wheel cylinders (13/16" bore), new booster, new master cylinder, premium brake fluid, etc.
  • O'Reilly heim-joint strut rods, new ball joints, bushings, idler arm, and Edelbrock IAS shocks all around
  • new 5-leaf HD rear springs
  • Premium Vredestein Quatrac tires

Body & Interior:
  • New premium correct trunk mat and trunk lid seal
  • Front seat resprung and refoamed, NOS correct vinyl material used with original fabric in excellent condition.
  • Original radio has stealth (invisible) conversion to stereo FM/AM + line-in for MP3 player or iPhone etc.; new kick panels with built-in speakers -- no hack/cut type of speaker installation.

Spare parts:
  • New-in-box premium correct carpet with upgraded "mass back" underpadding; set of matching "Dodge Dart" floor pads
  • Set of four premium interior door panels in perfect condition, with arm rest bases in likewise perfect condition
  • New-in-box rubber weatherstrips
  • Rechromed '73 Scamp rear bumper described above
  • Assorted mechanical parts
  • Scarce heated (factory defogger grid) tinted backglass. Some of the grid lines will want repair; there's an inexpensive, effective kit available at any parts store to do so.

Worth and price:

This car was appraised at $7500 before many of the repairs and upgrades. This appraisal was not the typical ridiculously-inflated bulk-wrap one gets from those appraisers who will write whatever figure you want as long as you pay his fee; this was done by a renowned, widely published Mopar expert who is also a licensed appraiser. I want $6172 with all the spare parts.

The car is in Seattle and is in "drive it right now" condition; it will readily go wherever you wish to drive it, without any repairs or fiddlefutzing needed before you go. Please send me a PM if you'd like to buy it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4klU_rFK8ps"]1973 Dodge Dart (for sale) Cold Start - YouTube[/ame]

Nice car and priced right, someone should buy this car!
Well presented.
Here's a bump for you Dan.

Wow, that's like buying a 5 year old car. I've seen a lot of nice original cars come up for sale recently, but this is by far the nicest. Now back to work for me so I can earn and save for my next home with more garage space :-(

I'd wish you good luck with sale, but I don't think you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back