Local Shops - Where to go, who do you trust?

-

WV64Signet

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Conflicted West Virginian...claiming Mid-Atlantic status for now :D

I'm new to the area (Eastern WV, outside of Strasbourg VA) and would like to ask for any recommendations on shops (i.e. Muffler, brake, mechanic, tire, machinist) that members have had good experience with.

I'd really like for this to be a positive feedback thread...so if you had a good experience, pass that along and let's give business to the good guys.

Also, keep in mind that we have some great wrench turners in here as well so no need to be bashful about supporting our own.

Thanks!!

Chris

:usflag:

Dropping another hit in here.

Talked to a couple of folks and those responses usually start with "There used to be...."
Still seeking any recommendation on a machine shop for engine work

Thanks again.

Chris, I have no experience in your area, BUT the people I trust around "here" are those with small shops in their own back yards. In fact, I just got off the phone with my friend Freddie talking to him about putting this quarter panel patch on Vixen. He's excited to do it because he knows how much that car means to us and I know he will do a fantastic job. All I can tell you is, ask around at your local auto parts stores. They will have a commercial account list and they all have their "favorites" and of course "not so favorites". lol In fact, that's how I met and got to know Freddie.

Chris, I have no experience in your area, BUT the people I trust around "here" are those with small shops in their own back yards. In fact, I just got off the phone with my friend Freddie talking to him about putting this quarter panel patch on Vixen. He's excited to do it because he knows how much that car means to us and I know he will do a fantastic job. All I can tell you is, ask around at your local auto parts stores. They will have a commercial account list and they all have their "favorites" and of course "not so favorites". lol In fact, that's how I met and got to know Freddie.

Thanks Rob...

Giving up this information seems to be kinda like revealing your secret fishing hole.

I'll keep the search going. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rob...

Giving up this information seems to be kinda like revealing your secret fishing hole.

I'll keep the search going. :thumbsup:
I don't know how far you're willing to travel, BUT @replicaracer43 is in South Carolina. He's a serious professional machinist and I wouldn't hesitate to use him if I had no choice around here......and honestly, the pickins are gettin slim.

I don't know how far you're willing to travel, BUT @replicaracer43 is in South Carolina. He's a serious professional machinist and I wouldn't hesitate to use him if I had no choice around here......and honestly, the pickins are gettin slim.
Thanks for the kind words Rob! I'm always open to help a mopar brother, and a lot of the work I do is shipped in, so if a guy isn't against freight, I'm local to everyone!

Thanks for the kind words Rob! I'm always open to help a mopar brother, and a lot of the work I do is shipped in, so if a guy isn't against freight, I'm local to everyone!
Much appreciated! Gonna dig around locally and see if there's a hidden gem :thumbsup:

Check the yellow pages and ask around from there.
I`d refer you to the guy I used last, but that was an unpleasant experience.
Good luck and let us know if you find a good local shop.

Check the yellow pages and ask around from there.
I`d refer you to the guy I used last, but that was an unpleasant experience.
Good luck and let us know if you find a good local shop.

Looking at Crespa up in Cumberland MD... about an hour away. Drove past a couple of times going other places.

Around my area, SE Michigan, I have a nice network of shops, people, and businesses that I rely on, both for work, and for hobby jobs. We have an excellent machine shop run by a Mopar lover, my painter does an awesome job, and my buddy from up town that just works out of his garage, all do excellent work. Most folks around here all use them, and yes, I have a couple secret weapons at my disposal as well, my next door neighbor and best friend has a complete machine shop in his 3 car garages, and after 40 years of being a plant manager for a large machine building company, he can make just about anything. Most of my contacts all use each other as well, so the network here is a tight and well oiled unit. My advice to the OP is the same as Robs, use the smaller guys, they don’t have large overhead and don’t have to rush things through. Make contacts through car cruises and ask where folks take their stuff, you will almost always get the best people to do your stuff.

It might be worth checking out Maryland Performance Center in Fredrick. @CPDave has used them for most of the work on his Barracuda and Dart engines. That's not the same as a factory refresh but I would think they could do that too.

-
Back