Lock ring and new fuel tank

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm installing the sending unit in a 63 valiant fuel tank. I had the usual problems with the cheap new lock ring not clamping enough to seal . So I found an original ring and it worked much better my concern is it seems to have bent the tabs on the tank out alot. My car did not have a tank in it so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe those of you who have experience with this will know. Will upload photos in a moment forgot their on my phone. If interested I have photos posted in Early A bodies, 62 lancer gas tank.

Thanks

IMG_20190310_124624072.jpg

IMG_20190310_124606110.jpg

I just did a new tank, the ring that came with it worked with a new sending unit and new gasket. I had to really pound on it to get it fully rotated. The ring that came with the sending unit was junk. I kept the old ring just in case.

I just did a new tank, the ring that came with it worked with a new sending unit and new gasket. I had to really pound on it to get it fully rotated. The ring that came with the sending unit was junk. I kept the old ring just in case.
did it bend the tabs up on the tank?

You have to go all the way around til it drops in the notches, can't tell from the photo. Good luck

If it is not leaking don’t worry. I kept my original due to the word around about the new rings but found the new one to be just fine. Agree that it needs to turn all the way to full lock though.

It did lock in to the notches. It's in there tight, just didn't think the tabs would bend up like that. Wanted to see if anyone else had the same thing happen. It's a spectra tank.

Hope to get the tank in this weekend. Hate to have to fix in car.

Hope to get the tank in this weekend. Hate to have to fix in car.
Tested tank , no leaks. Finally tank is on car. Next is the filler neck. The one that came with the car was to short , bought one that's longer but bent little different.

IMG_20190317_151445971.jpg

IMG_20190317_151608880.jpg

It will go all the way through the grommet and stick out into the tank a little. The only thing is the angle it will go through the grommet is a little off. I'm wondering if this will keep it from sealing correctly? The second pic with hand shows the difference in angle.

Tried to install longer tube to check and it's way off. Tried to bring it to custom exhaust shops and they don't think they can bend it without kinking. Maybe try heat and bend? Or cut shorter tube and extend with flexible gas tube and clamps? Any ideas?

Sounds like you have the wrong part. If the correct part is unavailable look into a parts wanted post. Bet someone here has the right part for you. Mine was tough to install with the right part. Had to install a screw hose clamp to give me traction to push it in.

Sounds like you have the wrong part. If the correct part is unavailable look into a parts wanted post. Bet someone here has the right part for you. Mine was tough to install with the right part. Had to install a screw hose clamp to give me traction to push it in.
I think the one that came with the car is the correct one it fits good. I moved the tank around tonight (as suggested by a member here) and got it to move closer. It only needs to go in about 5\8 more! But it's only half way thru the inner seal part of the grommet.

Can you see a mark on the tube from the previous install? I put on a light coating of petroleum jelly to aid the install.

I used petroleum jelly also it went in good and fairly easily.

-
Back