-
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmboy

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I got a deal on several locking police gun racks that were taken out of decommissioned police cruisers. I have some that will fit pump action shotguns(remington 870, mossberg 500/835/590, possibly others), and some that fit AR-15 A2s(Triangular handguard). These are electrically locked(push button switch to release), as well as lockable with a standard handcuff key. They are an exceptional way to keep a rifle or shotgun secure. They include a heavy sheet metal guard that prevents accidentally engaging the trigger. Pictures will be up later today. I just wanted one of them for my truck, but had to buy the lot of them, so I've got a few left over. These are made by Pro-Gard, and have an MSRP of $240, last time I checked. I'd let them go for $45 each, or $60 shipped, as they're pretty heavy pieces. As with everything, this is negotiable. If someone wanted, I could even wire up the release hardware for them so it'd be almost plug and play. I'm pretty sure these aren't something you can pick up just anywhere...

Could these be mounted horizontaly, like inside a SUV bed or do they have to be mounted vertically.

As long as you have space enough to put the two(or more, if you like)mounting bolts into something solid, it'll stay put. All the retention is done by the latch portion of the rack. I've actually seen these sort of racks used in overhead applications before.

And like I said, there's plenty of room to negotiate. Even if you wanted it modified a bit to fit an odd application(perhaps angled), I could do that. Or, if someone wanted it pre-wired, I'd do that for the cost of the odds and ends from Radio Shack.

I am all too familiar with these units. They are heavy duty, made in Canton, Oh and an excellent way to secure a long gun. They can be mounted any way you like. Let me know if you have any specific questions, more than happy to help.
-Dustin

pharmboy,

PM is on it's way.

Lawndart,

How quickly can a shotgun be deployed? Will it mark up the gun at all or are the contact points cushioned somehow?

I'm thinking of mounting one in my garage, hidden under a bench and another to carry a firearm to the range and for camping here in the high country, bolted to the inside bed of the RC. Would these make sense in the above applications?

The shackle that holds the mag tube/barrel is felt-lined, although most of them do show some wear. As far as speed of deployment, I'd say it'd all depend on where it is. If you had it mounted where you could push the release button with one hand and pull the shotgun out with the other, it'd take less than a second. Oh, forgot the pictures...I'll have a photo up in about 15 minutes.

As they say...a picture are worth a thousand words...The wider of the two is for the AR-15. The trigger guard on the AR-15 rack is also made of a thick thermoplastic of some sort. All contact areas are lined with either felt or foam rubber.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

Looks like one of the shotgun and one of the AR racks have been sold. :cheers: That leaves one more AR rack, and two shotgun racks for sale. Yes, I have tested them, and if they get 12V applied, they do unlatch just like they were made to.

Pharmboy answered correctly Ramcharger.

The units are always lined, so there is no worry about marring any finishes. As far as deployment, it's as quick as you hit the switch.

In my applications, we use a special timer, that holds the solenoid on the lock open for 15 seconds. We mount our 870's overhead, and AR's in the trunk horizontally.

Most used police units will have pretty low mileage in them, oftentimes only used to remove the shotgun before the car goes in for service.

Pharmboy answered correctly Ramcharger.

The units are always lined, so there is no worry about marring any finishes. As far as deployment, it's as quick as you hit the switch.

In my applications, we use a special timer, that holds the solenoid on the lock open for 15 seconds. We mount our 870's overhead, and AR's in the trunk horizontally.

Most used police units will have pretty low mileage in them, oftentimes only used to remove the shotgun before the car goes in for service.

Thank you lawndart for your input. This is excellent information and I feel as though I got very fair deal from pharmboy. Functional was all I was looking for with the added benifits of security and speed of deployment when necessary and it sounds (from your professional opinion) as though they will fit the bill. :)

Here's the harness I'm sending to Ramcharger and Memike along with their racks. No timer, but as long as the switch is within comfortable reaching distance of the weapon, it should work just fine. Anything that I'm neglecting to include?

P1010240.JPG

Id love one of these but I better make sure I dont have to register it with my muzzle loader,kitchen knives and electric drill. Killers use these things

Lawndart, take a look at the rig, see if I'm neglecting anything. The timer would be a nice addition, but I don't think I could come up with something like that on short notice. As it is, I'd say holding the button long enough to remove the weapon shouldn't be too difficult.

12 volt transformer and it is locked up next to my bed room door.
Child proof and ready to fire, and just a hidden switch in arms reach from my computer.
move it to the truck for security and locked up unconcealed.:cheers:
And will stay where you put it and not jump around on them goat trails we have here. Theft proof too.8)

Oddly, the best way I've found to transport a long gun is in a golf bag. Add a cover on the top, and no one even looks at you funny. If you're into cowboy action shooting, one full-size golf bag can carry your whole competition rig with ease(one shotgun ,one rifle, two pistols, and ammo/leather for all). The only downside is that people might start thinking you play golf...which might be good or bad, depending on how you look at things.

12 volt transformer and it is locked up next to my bed room door.
Child proof and ready to fire, and just a hidden switch in arms reach from my computer.
move it to the truck for security and locked up unconcealed.:cheers:
And will stay where you put it and not jump around on them goat trails we have here. Theft proof too.8)

I'll have a very similiar set up Mike! :cheers:

Oddly, the best way I've found to transport a long gun is in a golf bag. Add a cover on the top, and no one even looks at you funny. If you're into cowboy action shooting, one full-size golf bag can carry your whole competition rig with ease(one shotgun ,one rifle, two pistols, and ammo/leather for all). The only downside is that people might start thinking you play golf...which might be good or bad, depending on how you look at things.

People (if you want to call them that) are big on stealing clubs here. Mine will be on the inside of the truck bed in my RC. Hard to see but easy to get and very secure.

Would that be a concealed gun :-k That would get me in trouble.
out in the open in the back seat unloaded and bolt removed is legal here.
In the trunk out of reach locked in place is legal.
hid in a golf bag could be trouble in the car, :dontknow:

Concealed carry in Indiana is easy to arrange. They just okayed lifetime carry permits early this year. Outside of Indiana, I know my permit is good in 23 states.

Looks as good or better than most i've seen Pharmboy!

Glad to hear your venture paid off.....1. you didn't lose anything, 2. the equipment went to good use, 3. the gun owners can keep their guns safe, which is 1 less thing the dirtballs can get their hands on, which again no good could come from.

Good luck to the buyers on their installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back